Ads not shown when logged in
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Covid Rules Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    ... the Kelham Island Tavern. I has barely finished signing in and taking my seat before two men came through the door, approached the bar and introduced themselves as being from the Daily Telegraph, asking if they could speak to the landlady. The youngish lad who runs the place with his wife (he's looked about 16 for the last 16 years) asked them to wait a bit, but please keep out of his way as he was serving his customers and was on his own, and they sat down at the nearest table and started talking to one of the customers.

I don't normally interfere with private conversations, but these were journalists, so I put my mask on and approached them, asking if they were housemates with the man they were talking to, and if not why were they sitting at his table, and by the way, had they remembered to scan the QR code on entering and, for fuck's sake, where were their masks? They were a bit disconcerted, and issued an all round apology, and I retired to my table. I spoke to the people around me (receiving general support), along the lines of one rule for us and another rule, apparently, for them, at which point both the photographer and the journalist approached me and said that they had apologised. Yes, I said, but you still haven't logged in or put your masks on. By this time they were blocking the route from the bar to the seats and were asked to get out of the way.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...ans-face-life/ [Note the frequent references in the article to "rules"!]
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...ans-face-life/ [Note the frequent references in the article to "rules"!]
    Paywall protected.

I has barely finished signing in and Government by journalists. Don't you love it?
    You should have taken pictures of them then submitted them to The Grauniad - they'd have loved that. Still, at least you didn't book a table at the Peoples Park Tavern and then try to buy a drink last night. Barring violence and squalor, this is probably the worst pub/pub experience I've ever had.

Default How long is this going to last?

" "bitterly disappointed" after the government closed an apparent loophole "
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-54730767
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Default How long is this going to last?

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    " "bitterly disappointed" after the government closed an apparent loophole "
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-54730767
    So the answer was, not long...

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    So the answer was, not long...
    Can’t have the lower orders drinking too much, gad, they’ll be demanding the bars shut round Parliament next!

Default What constitutes a substantial meal, and do you have to eat it?

My first pub experience under the new rules yesterday. I went to one of the few pubs near me that is still open. Greeted at the door by one of the barmen. "Are you here for a beer?" Me: "No, I'm here for a meal, and a beer to wash it down!"

I'm not going to name the pub, but the food is cheap and substantial and the beer is excellent and reasonably priced. It was pretty quiet, but it was mid-afternoon and the weather was rather damp and off-putting. After about an hour another drinker came in and took a seat. The barman went to take his order. The chap started to haggle. "Can I order food now but not have it until 6? I had a bacon sandwich before I came out and I'm not ready to eat yet." He was told that that wasn't an option. He could have the food on his table and they would keep on supplying beer while his plate was still there. (Not sure this is strictly within the rules or guidelines, hence why I'm not identifying the pub.)

The new arrival went on to say that he'd been in Wetherspoons this week (he didn't say which one), and they let you have a cheese toastie and up to four pints of beer, then you can take the sandwich home with you. I've no means of knowing how accurate this is, but a cheese toastie is certainly not a substantial meal, and having it to take out is surely also not right.

Anyway, the good news is that I don't seem to have caught any germs while I was in the pub, so it seems that having food with your beer is having the protective effect that the government predicted...
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 30-10-2020 at 12:55.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

My first pub experience under the new rules yesterday. I went to one of the few pubs near me that is still open. Greeted at the door by one of the barmen. "Are you here for a beer?" Me: "No, I'm here for a meal, and a beer to wash it down!"

I'm not going to name the pub, but the food is cheap and substantial and the beer is excellent and reasonably priced. It was pretty quiet, but it was mid-afternoon and the weather was rather damp and off-putting. After about an hour another drinker came in and took a seat. The barman went to take his order. The chap started to haggle. "Can I order food now but not have it until 6? I had a bacon sandwich before I came out and I'm not ready to eat yet." He was told that that wasn't an option. He could have the food on his table and they would keep on supplying beer while his plate was still there. (Not sure this is strictly within the rules or guidelines, hence why I'm not identifying the pub.)

The new arrival went on to say that he'd been in Wetherspoons this week (he didn't say which one), and they let you have a cheese toastie and up to four pints of beer, then you can take the sandwich home with you. I've no means of knowing how accurate this is, but a cheese toastie is certainly not a substantial meal, and having it to take out is surely also not right.

Anyway, the good news is that I don't seem to have caught any germs while I was in the pub, so it seems that having food with your beer is having the protective effect that the government predicted...
    I wasn't aware that a person had to actually have a substantial meal, rather I thought the idea was that pubs could stay open if they were in the practice of serving substantial meals, whether or not customer ate.

This Space For Hire

This is very funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I wasn't aware that a person had to actually have a substantial meal, rather I thought the idea was that pubs could stay open if they were in the practice of serving substantial meals, whether or not customer ate.
    You are joking, aren't you?
    Come On You Hatters!