Ads not shown when logged in
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 144

Thread: Covid Rules Stuff

  1. #131
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    You are joking, aren't you?
    No. I've heard repeated mention of pubs being allowed to stay open if they serve substantial meals - typically gastropubs or carveries rather than pickled onions or crisps - but not that a person must actually buy a substantial meal. This seemed to be the same irrational musing as back when the smoking ban was being debated. The original idea was that smoking would be banned in pubs if they served - essentially 'substantial' - meals, but this didn't mean that a person could visit a foodie pub and smoke if they didn't order food.

  2. #132
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    No. I've heard repeated mention of pubs being allowed to stay open if they serve substantial meals - typically gastropubs or carveries rather than pickled onions or crisps - but not that a person must actually buy a substantial meal.
    It has also been mentioned many times that the pub must be able to operate like it's a restaurant, which to my mind (and, more importantly, in the mind of all the pub operators in Tier 3) this means customers are expected to buy and consume a meal. If you want to try out your version, get yourself up here to Tier 3 Land!
    Come On You Hatters!

  3. #133
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    2,408

    Default

    Went out Wed for the first time in 2 months .Did not enjoy the pub experience with the waiter service or the wearing of masks every time I tried to move around.First pub was a micro and I was able to get on a long table with a guy I know but was back to back with others. Second pub I got a one seat table next to two friends but was separated by the walkway where the staff went back and forward with the drinks which made it difficult to have a conversation. Might be a while before I venture out again.

  4. #134
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    It has also been mentioned many times that the pub must be able to operate like it's a restaurant, which to my mind (and, more importantly, in the mind of all the pub operators in Tier 3) this means customers are expected to buy and consume a meal. If you want to try out your version, get yourself up here to Tier 3 Land!
    We'll all be in the same boat come Thursday, but I suspect that if a pub demands that someone eat, this is more a ruse to get people to spend more money. I very rarely eat out and when I do so, I tend to avoid pubs unless another party so wishes it. I take the view that food pubs tend to be the jack of all trades, master of none.

  5. #135
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    5,445

    Default

    At least from Thursday us Tier1 people won’t get an influx of disease ridden, brain eating zombies from adjacent Tier 2 or 3 areas. Surely we are now saved with schools and universities open (22% of traceable infections) while dirty hospitality (2% of traceable infections) will close, hallelujah we’re safe now, god bless Boris.
    Drink drink, whoever you may be,
    we are the drunk and disorderly,
    and we’ll drink more beer wherever we may be,
    and we’ll meet you all in a pub said he.

    Dr Busker

  6. #136
    Still about Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Junction 5, M3 , well fairly close.
    Posts
    4,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    We'll all be in the same boat come Thursday, but I suspect that if a pub demands that someone eat, this is more a ruse to get people to spend more money. I very rarely eat out and when I do so, I tend to avoid pubs unless another party so wishes it. I take the view that food pubs tend to be the jack of all trades, master of none.
    Some are good, albeit expensive.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  7. #137
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    1,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    . Surely we are now saved with schools and universities open (22% of traceable infections) while dirty hospitality (2% of traceable infections) will close, hallelujah we’re safe now, god bless Boris.
    Our ward has a 100,000/week rate of around 800, greater than Nottingham. Translates into about 100 active cases, mainly Warwick Uni students, but also locals.

    A couple of hours ago the nightclub over from our block had a three deep queue around the corner, and I don't doubt some are infected and more will be by the time they get kicked out at 10pm. They'll infect staff at the uni, staff in the local shops, and the local kids will infect their families.

    So do you shut the uni, or shut the pubs?

  8. #138
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    ... I suspect that if a pub demands that someone eat, this is more a ruse to get people to spend more money.
    No. You are wrong and well out of order. They have been advised by the licencing authorities that they can only serve alcohol for consumption on the premises to customers who are eating/have eaten a substantial meal. They have been notified of compliance inspections and threatened with massive fines if they serve alcohol to customers who are not eating/have not eaten.

    The people operating pubs have been put through the wringer by the restrictions imposed by government as a result of this pandemic, despite the relative paucity of evidence of contagion resulting from mixing in pubs, and you are ascribing mean-minded, money-grubbing "ruses" to them. I have just come back from a meal and drink with my daughter and her partner in a pub that would normally be absolutely chocker on a Saturday night, with four or five people working at any time. Tonight there was one person on the bar and another on food, and in the time we were there we saw no more than half a dozen customers, plus a similar number calling in for beer to take out. The takings, including the "more money" that we spent on food, cannot have been as much as a tenth of their normal Saturday night takings.

    I do not normally have harsh words with people on this forum, but you really need to take a good look at yourself.
    Come On You Hatters!

  9. #139
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    At least from Thursday us Tier1 people won’t get an influx of disease ridden, brain eating zombies from adjacent Tier 2 or 3 areas. Surely we are now saved with schools and universities open (22% of traceable infections) while dirty hospitality (2% of traceable infections) will close, hallelujah we’re safe now, god bless Boris.
    At last, some sensible analysis from North Yorkshire. Have you been co-opted onto SAGE, by any chance?
    Come On You Hatters!

  10. #140
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    3,857

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    At least from Thursday us Tier1 people won’t get an influx of disease ridden, brain eating zombies from adjacent Tier 2 or 3 areas. Surely we are now saved with schools and universities open (22% of traceable infections) while dirty hospitality (2% of traceable infections) will close, hallelujah we’re safe now, god bless Boris.
    ... and here is his special gift to a weary nation:

    Hospitality venues like restaurants, bars and pubs must close, but can still provide takeaway and delivery services. However, takeaway of alcohol will not be allowed.

Similar Threads

  1. Retired Martin - RULES, RULES, RULES
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-09-2020, 21:20
  2. Retired Martin - MY FIRST COVID OPENING TIMES FAIL
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22-07-2020, 20:59
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-06-2020, 18:12
  4. Tandleman's Beer Blog - Outer Space and Covid-19
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20-05-2020, 15:07
  5. The Good Stuff - UK IPA Rules, OK?
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2012, 09:15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •