Visit Wee Beefy's Pub Blog site

Eefnin,

yesterday myself and the lovely Tash took a train and a bus to Derby and back and out into the Ecclesbourne valley for a wander. Here are some details of the boozers we tried and the beers and other drinks we supped en route.

I got to the station early on to purchase a Derbyshire Wayfarer - I hoped they were still available and also that you could pay in cash at the ticket office because although I had some cash in my wallet I had next to none available in my account. Luckily both were true and by 09.55 I had the ticket and 35 mins to wait for the train to Derby. Having met up with Tash and said goodbye to Matty we got on board wearing face masks and were soon in Derby. After a lengthy escape route on an underpass we stopped in some public gardens for a coffee and then headed to the bus station where we got the 6.1 to just past Idridgehay - luckily the bus has a system which names every stop so as soon as we had passed the stop for the Black Swan in Idridgehay we were told the next stop was Wood Lane where we got off.

Its a while since I have been into Kirk Ireton and last time we caught a bus there from Ashbourne which seems not to exist these days. And although me and Tash walked down the same hill and along the road into Idridgehay back in 2013 we had clearly both forgotten just how steep a walk it was up into the village. We got off the bus at 12.40 and by 13.05 we were sitting outside the Barley Mow. I was on a pint of Hartington IPA on gravity and Tash a bottle of Fentimens Victorian lemonade and we sat outside the door on a bench enjoying the scene and the fellow visitors. Our first sups did not last long.

Soon I was back indoors and on my second pint of IPA and I bought a pack of crisps for Tash along with a half of cloudy cider. After I had nipped to the loo I noticed that the pub now advertised a contactless payment machine for bank cards since the Covid outbreak - alas I don't have a contactless card, and besides which the man serving told me that was fine as the machine was currently upstairs. I also mentioned to him that I was glad they still didn't have a till - instead just a wooden drawer behind the counter. Apart from everyone signing a sheet when they came in, it seems that absolutely nothing else has changed - well, apart from the fact that the barrels are no longer behind the counter but am not sure when that took place. I thought the other day that it may have been 1993 when I first visited this pub and it's still a cracking boozer. Another pint of Hartington for me came at 13.50 and 5 minutes later he came out to call last orders.....

We sat in the churchyard on a bench next to get some dinner before setting off along Wirksworth Road, which then becomes Whapantake Lane before becoming Dark Lane and heading into Millers Green before coming out in Wirksworth, or Wuzza. A swift wander up the hill and down the other side allowed us to spot the tiny micropub which was our next stop around 16.00.

The Feather Star is situated on both floors of a tiny former antique shop on the main road, serving 4 or 5 casks from the past and 5 glorious kegs. Straight away I got Tash a pint of cider and myself a lovely pint of Cloudwater on keg and we wandered up the ginnel next door to a seating area in front of the church. We got sat in the last of the sunshine and marveled at both our surroundings as well as our drinks along with a large number of dogs who were accompanying the customers. When I nipped back indoors I found they were playing the marvelous Pigs Pigs, Pigs, Pigs, Pigs, Pigs, Pigs on the record player, and after a chat with the lass behind the bar I chose a can of Shiny IPA at 6% or more and got another pint of cider for Tash. After seeing the lass from the Barley Mow at Bonsall (where I haven't been for a good while alas) and having got chatting to all the other people sitting outside, we went for a wander round the church and then up to the nearby Royal Oak.

Me and Tash had last visited in 2013 as well and this time I was once again on a pint of Whim Flower Power and Tash was this time on a pint of Cider. We were both sat at a large table in the room on the left and after signing in and Tash nipping for a smoke I got us both the same again, this time served in a splendid Burton Bridge glass. I finished this stop on a can of Verdant IPA at 6.5% from their supply and thoroughly enjoyed it! Regrettably all too soon it was 20.00 and the bus was due about 20.30 so we headed out back onto the high street and walked down the road to catch the bus back into Derby.

Once back in Derby we had an hour to wait until the train so having walked back up towards the station we nipped for a quick one in the Alexandra. I was once again on an IPA this time on cask but am not sure what Tash was on. After enjoying our drinks along with understanding the system for getting to the obviatorium (..?!) we left about 20.10 to walk back to the station to get the train home to fine, sunny, Sheffield.

Overall we visited 4 excellent pubs, one of which was a first for me and Tash, and all of which were serving excellent quality ales and crucially, allowed us to pay in good old cash! Although we probably only walked 4 miles in total the exercise was well received and the whole day was perfectly enjoyable.

I shall look forward to doing another such trip next month!

Your very best of health

Wee Beefy

More...