Visit The Good Beer Hunting site

These are the words, images, and beers that inspired the GBH Collective this week. Drinking alone just got better, because now you're drinking with all of us.
MICHAEL KISER READ.// “We are in a cultural moment of radical countervailing, perhaps as potent as that experienced in the sixties, when what was offered as counter to the power of the gun, for example, was a daisy placed in its barrel. A period of hierarchical reversal, or replacement, of this for that.” Zadie Smith's review of Toyin Ojih Odutola’s show at the Whitney captures the zeitgeist, but also the profound hope that there is, in fact, a zeitgeist. And it inspired a poetic sketch of my own.
LOOK.// This week we featured an artist in our House Culture story, Lyne Lucien, who makes these incredibly energetic collage illustrations. They're like a cross between Hieronymus Bosch and Nickelodeon's “You Can't Do That on Television.”
DRINK.// Hopewell Brewing Co's Run it Back Black IPA
This little blast from the past was a perfect answer to the nostalgic way I've been drinking during (gestures widely at the whole world). Little bits of comfort and familiarity are such kindnesses.
ASHLEY RODRIGUEZREAD.// “Country-club nepotism and Gilded Age avarice are nothing new in America, of course. But the rich are enjoying a golden age of impunity unprecedented in modern history.” According to this exhaustive investigation by The Huffington Post, fraud and other white-collar crimes cost the United States upwards of $360 billion dollars a year—more than what robberies and street crimes cost our society over two decades. And yet, as this article breaks down, white-collar crime is rarely prosecuted with the rigor we prosecute low-level crimes and offenses. Our criminal justice system is designed to protect the rich.
LOOK.// I had never seen “Spirited Away,” the Hayao Miyazaki animated movie released in 2001, until this weekend. After the movie was over, I immediately turned to my partner and asked, “This is one of the greatest movies of all time, right?” I can’t stop thinking about it.
DRINK.// Lost Lake’s Tic-Tac-Taxi
Lost Lake, regarded by some as the best cocktail bar in the United States, does to-go cocktails that are so good that it’s barely a sacrifice to drink them at home. This cocktail, which has Jamaican rum, aged Panamanian rum, coconut, passionfruit, and lime is served frozen—and feels like a treat.
BRYAN ROTH READ.// “The cultural perception of stutterers is that they’re fearful, anxious people, or simply dumb, and that stuttering is the result. But it doesn’t work like that.” So many profiles of Joe Biden have focused solely on politics or the immense grief he's dealt with in his life. The story of his stuttering—and the writer who covers it here—is a new look.
LOOK.// A chimpanzee and its young. A mustachioed bird from Peru. Tim Flach takes portraits of animals. They're more engaging than you think.
DRINK.// Hold Out Brewing’s Holdfellow Saison
Slow my racing heart. This canned Saison offers that all too fleeting experience of being a beer you want to pause and reflect on, but which ends up disappearing too quickly to let you do it. Dry and with a twinge of classic yeast flavor found in our favorite brands from Belgium, it's a welcome and brief moment in the fading days of summer.
Curated by
The GBH Collective

More...