Visit The Good Beer Hunting site

These are the words, images, and beers that inspired the GBH Collective this week. Drinking alone just got better, because now you're drinking with all of us.
ASHLEY RODRIGUEZ READ.// “Hence I have no mercy or compassion in me for a society that will crush people, and then penalize them for not being able to stand up under the weight.” I just started The Autobiography of Malcolm X—it’s hard to describe this book and feel like I’ve adequately conveyed how transformative his self-awareness is. So just read it. Buy from a Black-owned bookstore.
LOOK.// There’s nothing more pleasant and soothing than the television show “Joe Pera Talks With You.” Set in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, the show sees comedian Joe Pera walk you through everyday events (like ordering breakfast or going to the grocery store) in a way that is both laugh-out-loud funny and wonderfully wholesome at the same time. It’s a comfort I didn’t know I needed.
DRINK.// New Glarus Brewing’s Spotted Cow
Spotted Cow seems like both a perfect introductory beer and an ideal beer for seasoned drinkers. It’s one of those beers you’re pleasantly surprised to pick up—a reminder of a simpler time. If I’m grabbing something from New Glarus it’s usually a Two Women Lager, but a recent return to Spotted Cow reminded me just how enjoyable this crushable beer is.
JAMAAL LEMONREAD.// “While classified as a vitamin, D is unique among vitamins in a few different ways. For one thing, your body makes it itself when it’s exposed to sunlight. For another, it behaves like a steroid in the body (no, not that kind of steroid), meaning that it can turn genes on and off.”While my wife was pregnant, I went down a huge health and nutrition rabbit hole—primarily due to the fact my wife was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Once I was able to sift through the anxiety, I read tons of information on the benefits of Vitamin D(3).
LOOK.// These times are unfavorable for so many, on many levels. I have a few friends who are visual artists, and they have all managed to make use of their time creating. One of my good friends curated his digital art exhibit last week.
DRINK.// Mobtown Brewing Company’s Honeysuckle GrisetteWhen I was studying for my Cicerone Certification, at no point did I read anything about the Grisette style. But that’s not to say I’m not a fan. In fact, I’ve recently been on a tear of consuming this style in this very aggressive, 90-degree heat.
JONNY GARRETT READ.// “The American cult of the individual denies not just community but the very idea of society. No one owes anything to anyone.” There has been a lot of sensational writing during the COVID-19 crisis. Times like these open our minds to ideas we would never have entertained—and in this powerful piece, an anthropologist discusses the idea that America might no longer be the leader of the free world or even a place of freedom itself.
LOOK.// Not only does the amazing artist behind Art By Volume reimagine beer labels as beautiful record sleeves and vintage book covers, but he has been behind the rebrand of several up-and-coming breweries—including the reinvention of The Cheshire Brewhouse—giving the beers a new lease of life and the attention they have always deserved.
DRINK.// Unity Brew Co.’s Nocturne Oatmeal PorterLallemand recently teamed up with Verdant Brewing Co to release a New England yeast strain with some remarkable properties, including fast fermentation; plenty of stone fruit flavors; and a full, slick mouthfeel. That yeast has brought a lot of success for Verdant in the world of IPAs, but now it's being used by other breweries for all kinds of beers—including this delicious Oatmeal Porter from Unity. Here, it adds sweetness to the dark fruit and coffee notes and creates the creamiest, most velvety texture.
Curated by
The GBH Collective

More...