Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 153

Thread: How Will Pubs Open?

  1. #1
    Teetotal
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    1

    Default How Will Pubs Open?

    Morning everyone,

    I'm sure we're all a bit shell-shocked with what has happened in the wake of the Covid-19 lockdown, not least the forced closure of pubs and bars up and down the country. Looks like we're in the long haul for this "flatten the curve" strategy. I've just been thinking about what will happen once the bans start to get lifted again. Obviously, at this point, there's no knowing whether that will be in a few week's time or a few month's time. Just wondering what the precautions will be when places start opening again? Latex gloves for staff? Limited numbers allowed in at one time?

    It's been a crazy few weeks...

    Thanks,

    Chris

  2. #2
    Still about Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Junction 5, M3 , well fairly close.
    Posts
    4,453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrissmith89 View Post
    Morning everyone,

    I'm sure we're all a bit shell-shocked with what has happened in the wake of the Covid-19 lockdown, not least the forced closure of pubs and bars up and down the country. Looks like we're in the long haul for this "flatten the curve" strategy. I've just been thinking about what will happen once the bans start to get lifted again. Obviously, at this point, there's no knowing whether that will be in a few week's time or a few month's time. Just wondering what the precautions will be when places start opening again? Latex gloves for staff? Limited numbers allowed in at one time?

    It's been a crazy few weeks...

    Thanks,

    Chris
    Hi Chris, I think the answer to that is nobody knows at the moment, it will be a bit of a pain if the 2 meter rule is still in place, but better open with whatever restrictions than totally shut.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  3. #3
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    5,394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrissmith89 View Post
    Morning everyone,

    I'm sure we're all a bit shell-shocked with what has happened in the wake of the Covid-19 lockdown, not least the forced closure of pubs and bars up and down the country. Looks like we're in the long haul for this "flatten the curve" strategy. I've just been thinking about what will happen once the bans start to get lifted again. Obviously, at this point, there's no knowing whether that will be in a few week's time or a few month's time. Just wondering what the precautions will be when places start opening again? Latex gloves for staff? Limited numbers allowed in at one time?

    It's been a crazy few weeks...

    Thanks,

    Chris
    Much depends on if a vaccine that works can be developed or if the Virus dies off through lack of hosts or if it just goes dormant and carriers remain in the community. When the number of new cases gets down close to zero the Govt might let things reopen, not least because of the economic damage we’re suffering and the cost of paying the 80% with more to come this afternoon when the chancellor announces help for the self employed.

    When (if) pubs reopen there are bound to be some restrictions, the neo-pro’s are creaming themselves at this movement in what can be banned, I believe this called a Kensington an Overton Window*. There are also going to be logistical problems with restocking from the (remaining) breweries.

    Whatever happens a major change in the beer landscape is inevitable.

    *thanks to the more on the ball Quinno for putting this right.
    Last edited by oldboots; 26-03-2020 at 14:31.
    Drink drink, whoever you may be,
    we are the drunk and disorderly,
    and we’ll drink more beer wherever we may be,
    and we’ll meet you all in a pub said he.

    Dr Busker

  4. #4
    Please give generously Quinno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Much depends on if a vaccine that works can be developed or if the Virus dies off through lack of hosts or if it just goes dormant and carriers remain in the community. When the number of new cases gets down close to zero the Govt might let things reopen, not least because of the economic damage we’re suffering and the cost of paying the 80% with more to come this afternoon when the chancellor announces help for the self employed.

    When (if) pubs reopen there are bound to be some restrictions, the neo-pro’s are creaming themselves at this movement in what can be banned, I believe this called a Kensington Window. There are also going to be logistical problems with restocking from the (remaining) breweries.

    Whatever happens a major change in the beer landscape is inevitable.
    I thought it was an Overton Window? Googling Kensington Window brings up glaziers!

  5. #5
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    5,394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    I thought it was an Overton Window? Googling Kensington Window brings up glaziers!
    I did say "I believe", blame it on senility or beer.

    CV19 Isolation Day 2.jpeg
    Drink drink, whoever you may be,
    we are the drunk and disorderly,
    and we’ll drink more beer wherever we may be,
    and we’ll meet you all in a pub said he.

    Dr Busker

  6. #6
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees
    Posts
    662

    Default

    Ability to take drinks anywhere in sight of the pub so people spread out... Or table service only. Will the majority want to go back to how we were anyway, I doubt it. Open borders and everyone flying everywhere caused this to spread so successfully.

  7. #7
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    2,394

    Default

    I think the virus will have to be gone before they open the pubs as social distancing wont work. Pubs are meant to be social places and pointless opening them otherwise.We can can wait out the covid 19 with out resorting to restrictions.Hopefully the government will give the pubs a couple of weeks notice so they are up and running on the day.

  8. #8
    I'll stay on me own
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    533

    Default

    As time goes by, there will be an increasing number of survivors with immunity, desperate to get out and spend their money somewhere. The expected antibody test will help in this regard and I am sure big business will want to cash in.

    Sadly I expect a significant number of pubs (and breweries) will be gone forever. Even in the best scenario, I fear there will be many months of chaos trying to find if/when a pub is actually open or not, never mind if they have any ale, especially the obscure locals that I like visiting.

    I also forecast that it will be socially unacceptable to have a cough in a pub, or most other places come to that!
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

  9. #9
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,485

    Default

    At the moment it's hard to say how this will all end but one thing Tim Martin was correct about is that the entire hospitality industry is under threat. I'm sure you can add other sectors to that with a global recession as a bonus.
    I'm sure I've heard that the flu pandemic after WW1 killed more people than the Great War itself. Think on this, there were much fewer old people then and no air travel to speak of. If this virus today was more virulent then who knows what the consequences might be.
    Sorry about this depressing viewpoint, I think it needs pointing out. Have a nice Saturday!

  10. #10
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,485

    Default

    Here's another gloomy forecast. Let's be clear, most people reading this are pub and beer enthusiasts, In my case I'm more of a beer enthusiast but that's not the point. Most of Joe Public aren't. How on earth are pubs going to attract ordinary folk back after what looks loke being a long time? Joe Bloggs will have realised what a poor deal was on offer on Friday night in Central London compared to having beer from the supermarket or even delivered by a local brewery.
    I got an email from Five Points brewery which said I could get three cases of 5.5% JUPA for fifty quid delivered to my door. How many breweries will find this a more convenient and more profitable way of trading after the pubs open again?

Similar Threads

  1. Why are most of new pubs/bars that open crap?
    By Al Bundy in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-12-2019, 11:25
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-12-2014, 10:14
  3. How Many Pubs and Bars Open a week/Year
    By Mobyduck in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 28-05-2014, 20:43
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26-09-2013, 16:17
  5. Pubs open after midnight in Birmingham
    By whitmorereans in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 21-11-2011, 21:00

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •