Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What makes a 'great' pub?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Gazebo View Post
    I for one welcome our new alien overlords.
    If their buying I also certainly welcome them (at least they have some sensible policies unlike our current overlords).

Just Missed the Round Evil Gazebo's Avatar

There is an episode of Men Behaving Badly where Gary and Tony wander their area, clipboards in hand, assessing each pub for its potential as their new local. I think the landlord was leaving their old haunt or something.

I found myself in a similar position about 12 years ago - I'd just moved to a new city and didn't know anyone in the area other than Mrs Gazebo. A few afternoons venturing into all the nearby pubs, however, was a great way to explore the area. Anyway, during this search, I believe I did manage to find what was - in many respects - my perfect pub.

It took only two or three visits before the barman had found out my name, and what my preferred drinks were etc. I particularly recall going there one Saturday afternoon when the Five Nations (as it was then) rugby was on the TV. As the place rapidly filled up just before the England game, I realised that all the conversations going on were addressed to the pub as a whole, rather than a huge number of private chats between small groups. I have rarely felt as welcome in a large group of almost total strangers, and got very pleasantly pissed, staggering home many hours later than planned.

For years after that I used to love lunchtimes there. I worked from 5am till noon in those days, so did most of my drinking early afternoon. The pub was blessed with an eccentric (in a good way) landlady, a small but always excellent range of beers and a massively disparate group of regulars (a lorry driver, a retired banker, a shopkeeper, a retired Merchant Navy captain, a couple of cabbies, a restaurant owner, a copper and various people who never seemed to do anything but always seemed to have plenty of cash, to name just a few). The TV would only ever be switched on if someone actually wanted to watch it, and there were no gaming machines or similar distractions.

Most lunchtimes there would be about seven or eight out of the approximately 20 core regulars, plus occasional strangers of course, and we'd just enjoy a few pints and ramble on about all sorts of nonsense. It was a small, one-room pub, which technically closed for the afternoon at 2.30pm, but would in reality stay open until either we or the landlady had had enough. Strangely after it reopened for the evening at 6.00, it was complete rubbish, full of poncey yahoo types and students - I've never known a pub be so different depending on what time you visited.

Sadly, the landlady sold up a few years ago, the pub now has a different name and is unrecognisable from the place described above. Happy days, though.
    Last edited by Evil Gazebo; 11-08-2010 at 12:17.
    And you can really taste the hops!

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    Thats great. I can shed this latex humanoid suit and stretch my eight legs.
    Oh dear, Geeks Galore have taken over a website that was set up to promote the good side of humanity
    Waes hael!

***smiles and nods***
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

Spritzer Swallower

I've had some fantastic beers in The Anchor. I always try before I buy. Some staff are better than others!

I've seen some strange people in there and it's only human nature to observe them! There's one guy in a suit, but not a business type of suit, who always seems to be dancing by the bar. I usually look at him in a slightly bemused manner.

I may try the Anchor again...and I might fall into the White Swan, Lamp and Spotted Dog which, in my opinion are better pubs, with less beer choice nevertheless.

Spritzer Swallower

I'll look out for you... we don't get many Sontarans!

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I'll look out for you... we don't get many Sontarans!
    It sounds like you already have one. Check out the chap in the suit who likes dancing.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I'm hijacking this thread a little just to advise that Leyton's William IV had a good range on, as usual, on Saturday including a couple of lower abv beers - Giddy Blonde at 2.7% & Summer Stout at 2.8% - these at just £1!
    Not for me, but a couple of boys tried halves & brought the round of 5 pints down to an extraordinary £7.98!

They had flyers for 'Brodie's (2nd) Birthday Bonanza', 4&5Sep - 24 Brodie's ales including some new lines (Elizabethan, at 22%, surely even William IV can't sell that one at £1.99?). Great stuff! Why are the Euro qualifiers that weekend on the friday night, and not Saturday? At least I wouldn't be able to blow the TVs up (this time) if there on a bonanza day!