Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CAMRA Pub Discount Scheme

Default CAMRA Pub Discount Scheme

CAMRA, I read somewhere, has launched a scheme to get pubs to offer a discount to CAMRA members (some already do, so I'm not sure what's changed). See www.camra.org.uk/discountscheme for details. Is this:

a. A good idea to get more trade into the pubs
    b. A thinly-disguised membership drive from the St Albans Kremlin
    c. A genuine attempt to introduce a small perk for its members
    d. All of the above?

I would like to be charitable and answer d to my own question, but what do others, especially publicans, think?

Real Ale Drinker

I have two pubs local to me that offer discounts to CAMRA members. One offers 40p off a pint of real ale, the other 20p off a pint and 25% off the price of food.
    I'm sure they will have been encouraged by the local CAMRA branch to do this basically with a view to encouraging real ale drinking non-members to sign up.
    I think of ETAs' three reasons, B is the driver !

The Baum gives a 40p per pint/20p per half discount to CAMRA members Sunday - Thursday.

I have to admit it was my idea and I sold the idea to Simon the landlord as a 3 month trial.

I'd seen it work very well in Nottingham, so I nicked the idea.

It was so successful that it's been running for almost 18 months now.

The increased turnover in midweek allowed the pub to up the number of handpumps from 5 to 6, so it's a winner all round in my opinion.

Even with the discount the nearby JDW is still cheaper though.

The "new" CAMRA initiative and the posters they supplied have been totally ignored of course.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 27-07-2010 at 12:14.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    Is this:

a. A good idea to get more trade into the pubs
    b. A thinly-disguised membership drive from the St Albans Kremlin
    c. A genuine attempt to introduce a small perk for its members
    d. All of the above?
    Certainly B & C although most current CAMRA members and those enticed by B are likely to be regular pub goers anyway so I doubt there will be much of an effect on A overall. Not sure if that all makes sense

All of those I think. The current year's CAMRA membership virtually gives you your money back by providing £20 worth of Wetherspoon's 50p vouchers to be used (1 per customer per visit) against a purchase of a pint of real ale.

Personally, I think this is a good thing because it has boosted CAMRA membership and therefore the voice that CAMRA has. This has undoubtedly also been beneficial for Wetherspoon's but I think it has had a positive knock-on effect for the consumer as well because it has increased demand for real ale which has influenced more of Wetherspoon's competitors to stock it and has therefore increased availability and choice. I hope it continues.
    Waes hael!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I'm ashamed to say I've never been a member but have long considered enrolling if only to thank the organisation for their early work in saving real ale.
    Now, as mentioned, membership is effectively free once 'spoons vouchers have been redeemed. On that point, does anyone know whether the number of vouchers doubles if signing up under the joint-membership (+partner) option?

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I'm ashamed to say I've never been a member but have long considered enrolling if only to thank the organisation for their early work in saving real ale.
    Now, as mentioned, membership is effectively free once 'spoons vouchers have been redeemed. On that point, does anyone know whether the number of vouchers doubles if signing up under the joint-membership (+partner) option?
    Sadly they don't, you just get the one set. Not surprising really as the joint membership is only an extra couple of quid.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

I have been thinking of rejoining , if just to annoy the local branch members
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

We were going to offer a discount to CAMRA members, but one of the locals pointed something out. Why should a complete stranger who's never set foot in the pub before get a discount when those locals who use the pub every day (inc Christmas Day) don't get any. So instead a discount on the bedrooms which has proved extremely successful.
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

Glass Half Full

We have a discount card scheme in place for our locals, and I've no intention of encouraging camra members specifically as a group - don't have a dedicated jumper stand