Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Suggestion for new "outlying area" Portsmouth

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Default Suggestion for new "outlying area" Portsmouth

May I suggest Port Solent is added?

Pubs are Mermaid http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13589/

Lloyds No 1 http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56890/

Port Solent really is outlying, the next one is not, but is a distinct area, known to all locally

Old Portsmouth

This is area around the Cathedral and includes

Duke of Buckingham
    Pembroke
    Dolphin
    Wellington
    Bridge Tavern
    Spice Island Inn
    Sally Port Hotel [currently closed for refurb]
    Seagull [closed & not listed by PuG] at 13 Broad Street, Old Portsmouth, now an estate agents but building remains [I'll get photo in due course]

and last, but certainly not least, the famous & iconic [around here]

Still & West

You can see a list on David Linington's site http://www.pubsofoldportsmouth.co.uk/index.html

David includes the A Bistro, I'm not 100% convinced that comes under Old Portsmouth to me, but having looked at map I reckon David is right & I am wrong, so A Bistro as well please

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post

and last, but certainly not least, the famous & iconic [around here]

Still & West
    definitely iconic, in the background of the TV pictures as part of the Falklands Fleet left Pompey in '82 if I recall correctly (that brings a tear). I had a massive argument with a barmaid in there once as she couldn't pour White Shield and t'Guv'nor wouldn't allow bottles over the bar - how things change!

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    definitely iconic, in the background of the TV pictures as part of the Falklands Fleet left Pompey in '82 if I recall correctly (that brings a tear).!
    Oddly enough, although living in the area, and ex RN, at the time of the Falklands I was working in Florida, so never had the opportunity to wave them away

I have never forgiven Glenda bloody Jackson for her remarks about the folk waving & wishing the the Fleet farewell and good fortune, a lot were wives, girlfriends & relatives who never saw their loved ones again

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hi Farway,

We have moved The Mermaid and Lloyds No.1 to Port Solent.

Old Portsmouth is a little more troubling, intuitively I would have to say how much more Portsmouth can you get. More to the point though, would people out of the area know about it and be searching for it? And I can't see it marked on the Google or Bing maps which is one of the things I tend to look for. I personally don't think it is a good choice on those grounds, but I don't know enough to say for sure.

You are probably right about people out of area not knowing about Old Portsmouth, but maybe same applies to parts of Glasgow, Bath or Plymouth?

Any way, up to you as Dictator, I shall not cry myself to sleep over it

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Couldn't comment on Glasgow or Plymouth. But I know I sorted Bath, and whilst I am guessing that some of those out(lying/landish) areas will not be known, they were definitely distinct from the centre (equivalent of beyond a ring road) and more importantly that the outlying areas are named on standard maps.

It seems reasonable that the pubs have Old Portsmouth in their address, but from my perspective it feels a bit bonkers making it a new navigation area on the site. As the postcodes are PO1 it feels equivalent to creating a Central Bath location whilst still having Bath for those that aren't quite central enough.

I am hoping to make some changes to our address handling in a future iteration and playing with the festival code at the moment to see if I can get it working.