Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Campaign for Pubs

Default Campaign for Pubs

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Here's where you can join the Campaign for Pubs.
    This was brought to our attention by Hondo in the How Will Pubs Open? thread (#110), but I thought it deserved wider exposure. Any thoughts welcome - I haven't looked into it in any detail, so if you want to shout about it in anything approaching a negative fashion, please don't direct your comments at or through me...
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Appears to have been set up by Paul Crossman, licensee of the renowned Slip, Swan and Volunteer in York, with 3 of his regulars on the Board! It's a bit of a leap from a local 'good idea' to an effective campaigning body.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Appears to have been set up by Paul Crossman, licensee of the renowned Slip, Swan and Volunteer in York, with 3 of his regulars on the Board! It's a bit of a leap from a local 'good idea' to an effective campaigning body.
    Those of us on the PuG tour of York may remember the objectionable old man and his wife we encountered in the Swan, moaning that we had ruined the atmosphere of "his" pub and how all the regulars had escaped into the garden.

I'm not sure we need another of these "protect the pub" groups which seem to be springing up everywhere, see their list of members of the British Pub Confederation, prop. Greg Mulholland (somewhat disgraced ex-MP for Leeds North, although I quite liked him when I met him). Mostly they're about challenging the excesses of the Pub Co's and this lots Mission Statement isn't too far removed from CAMRA's (but without the virtue signalling).

£25 if you want join but no 'spoons vouchers.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Those of us on the PuG tour of York may remember the objectionable old man and his wife we encountered in the Swan, moaning that we had ruined the atmosphere of "his" pub and how all the regulars had escaped into the garden.
    I certainly do! I've met some obnoxious drinkers in pubs down the years, but they would certainly make my top ten. I vaguely remember Dave and I tried to reason with them, but they were having none of it. It's obviously all very hazy now, but I seem to recall they got us mixed up with another group.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    I certainly do! I've met some obnoxious drinkers in pubs down the years, but they would certainly make my top ten. I vaguely remember Dave and I tried to reason with them, but they were having none of it. It's obviously all very hazy now, but I seem to recall they got us mixed up with another group.
    Strange - The Swan looks like a nice pub, gay- friendly too.

Its website describes itself thus: '...award-winning community pub...is also revered far and wide, not only for its rare and wonderfully-preserved Grade II listed inter-war interior, but also for the quality of the ale, the friendliness of the service and the exceptionally warm and inclusive general ambience...locally-revered contemporary social hub, a vital and vibrant pub where visitors and locals mingle seamlessly. It is without question one of the jewels in the crown of York's exceptional beer and pub scene.'
    In situations like this, it always makes me wonder why bar staff don't intervene; maybe they don't care about their reputation. One of the weirdest and most memorable customers I ever encountered was in The Prince of Wales in the late '90s - no wonder he was the only other customer in!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    but I seem to recall they got us mixed up with another group.
    maybe the group I was in..?

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    maybe the group I was in..?
    No, 'tm'. Not you. I think it was a coach party?
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.