Ads not shown when logged in
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 127

Thread: How was it for you?

  1. #91
    This is not an exit Komakino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Is this the landlord who looks startlingly like Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen and dresses in a rather eccentric Edwardian manner, cos this wasn't the bloke on duty last Sunday.
    Not quite. I believe the guy is an ex-roadie, hence the vinyl albums/single covers which adorn the top shelves which run around the internal periphery.

    Link to the Oxford Drinker past issues page here - pages 22-23 of the Jan-Mar issue to give you a flavour of his input.

    Planning to pop in on Friday prior to a visit to the nearby Phoenix Picturehouse (I want to see "Tenet", but she's insisted on the re-run of "Les Mis" ), so will update on what we encounter.
    Last edited by Komakino; 02-09-2020 at 23:19.
    "Breakneck speed we drown ten pints of bitter"

  2. #92
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    1,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Komakino View Post
    Not quite. I believe the guy is an ex-roadie, hence the vinyl albums/single covers which adorn the top shelves which run around the internal periphery.

    Link to the Oxford Drinker past issues page here - pages 22-23 of the Jan-Mar issue to give you a flavour of his input.

    Planning to pop in on Friday prior to a visit to the nearby Phoenix Picturehouse (I want to see "Tenet", but she's insisted on the re-run of "Les Mis" ), so will update on what we encounter.
    My first/last trip to the Phoenix was to see Pulp Fiction back in the autumn of '94.

    The 'usual' bloke at the Gardeners appears to appear on p18 of the Oxford Drinker, so presumably Paul Silcock or Andris Wood - he looks like an Andris.

  3. #93
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    1,323

    Default

    I popped into The Three Crowns last night, mainly 'cos I needed the loo and there's no cubicle at The Wenlock up the road.

    In order to get a drink, you have to sign up to their company app with all the rigmarole that usually entails, including daft things about my entire life and lives of my family. You then get a £5.00 'free drink' which sounds good. But once again, I had to enter my bank details (which I'm wary of doing) but in order to do so, I had to enter my bank card information onto my phone. But as I pay with my phone, I wasn't carrying my card so had to forego the freebie, paying £5.50 for a surprisingly good pint of Guinness.

  4. #94
    Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stratford on Avon Canal
    Posts
    2,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I needed the loo and there's no cubicle at The Wenlock .
    Apart from this problem,how was your visit to The Wenlock ? It's on my list for a visit at the end of the month on a Friday night but what's the capacity like ,can they accomodate walk ins or do you have to book ? Was there a decent ale range or have they reduced the numbers like so many other real ale hangouts ?
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

  5. #95
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,155

    Default

    If no cubicle I'm aghast at what happens if you need a poo in the loo while in the pub.

  6. #96
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    1,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Apart from this problem,how was your visit to The Wenlock ? It's on my list for a visit at the end of the month on a Friday night but what's the capacity like ,can they accomodate walk ins or do you have to book ? Was there a decent ale range or have they reduced the numbers like so many other real ale hangouts ?
    I walked past The Wenlock about five days ago and capacity was surprisingly low; plenty of space. However, I didn't bother going in as there was some drunken oaf, singing his lungs out to Pink Floyd on the stereo. My previous visit a couple of years back was spoiled by a drunken couple having a domestic and the time before, ruined by aggro starting to kick off between two neighbouring tables. I prefer the Old Fountain just down the road, over the border in EC1.

    Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    If no cubicle I'm aghast at what happens if you need a poo in the loo while in the pub.
    The gents is bad enough. It's essentially two urinals crammed into a cupboard under the stairs, which only one person can use. And when you exit, you do so right into the darts' throw, risking an arrow in the eye! Prior to a minor makeover (and major clean) a few years ago, the old lavs were fine, probably dating from the 1930s.

  7. #97
    Humble Wordsmith ETA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Normally Somerset, sometimes on a yacht.
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I walked past The Wenlock about five days ago and capacity was surprisingly low; plenty of space. However, I didn't bother going in as there was some drunken oaf, singing his lungs out to Pink Floyd on the stereo. My previous visit a couple of years back was spoiled by a drunken couple having a domestic and the time before, ruined by aggro starting to kick off between two neighbouring tables. I prefer the Old Fountain just down the road, over the border in EC1.



    The gents is bad enough. It's essentially two urinals crammed into a cupboard under the stairs, which only one person can use. And when you exit, you do so right into the darts' throw, risking an arrow in the eye! Prior to a minor makeover (and major clean) a few years ago, the old lavs were fine, probably dating from the 1930s.
    Sounds normal for Yeovil.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

  8. #98
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    1,323

    Default

    An abortive trip to Craft Beer Co Old Street - all pump clips reversed which is the poorest showing for any post 4th July real ale pub visit I've made and this is the most specialist beer outlet I've visited since 4th.
    Last edited by Tris39; 08-10-2020 at 17:41.

  9. #99
    Still about Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Junction 5, M3 , well fairly close.
    Posts
    4,452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    An abortive trip to Craft Beer Co Old Street - all pump clips reversed which is the poorest showing for any post 4th July real ale pub visit I've made and this is the most specialist beer outlet I've visited since 4th.
    Obviously now specialising in keg.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  10. #100
    Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stratford on Avon Canal
    Posts
    2,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I walked past The Wenlock about five days ago and capacity was surprisingly low; plenty of space. However, I didn't bother going in as there was some drunken oaf, singing his lungs out to Pink Floyd on the stereo. My previous visit a couple of years back was spoiled by a drunken couple having a domestic and the time before, ruined by aggro starting to kick off between two neighbouring tables. I prefer the Old Fountain just down the road, over the border in EC1.



    The gents is bad enough. It's essentially two urinals crammed into a cupboard under the stairs, which only one person can use. And when you exit, you do so right into the darts' throw, risking an arrow in the eye! Prior to a minor makeover (and major clean) a few years ago, the old lavs were fine, probably dating from the 1930s.
    Sounds like I will have to do my own research before visiting.I quite like pubs with a bit of "character".
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •