Ads not shown when logged in
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: How was it for you?

Default Covid-19 pub crawl in York - Market Cat

Next was the Thornbridge pub, the Market Cat. Four or five young people were sharing the duties: doorman, front of house, waiting and pouring. The door person asked us if we lived together. A quick glance at the table options made it quite easy to lie, and we were shown to a smallish table in a booth in the back corner. (There are more tables upstairs that seemed less crowded.) OB and son went for the Roosters London Thunder while I had decided, while doing my research the night before, to go for the Jaipur X, a keg reworking of Thornbridge's flagship beer, at a modest 10% abv. I went for a sensible third, though soon wished I had joined the others in their porters. Jaipur X was neither too cold nor too fizzy, and no one could accuse it of being either too malty, too alcoholic or too interesting – it tasted like a 5% lager/IPA crossover. One of the young helpers agreed that I could photograph the keg font roundel, and my telephoto lens enabled me to do so while not contaminating the bar counter.
    Come On You Hatters!

Default Covid-19 pub crawl in York - Red Lion

We made our way to the next pub on the list, but were disappointed to find a piece of paper attached to the door of the Blue Bell on Fossgate, saying that the pub was not open because it was too small to apply the appropriate distancing between customers. We considered the Brew York next, but decided it might well be too busy, so I suggested the nearby Red Lion, where I had been a few weeks ago for a friend's 60th birthday. Not exactly a must visit, but Rudgate Ruby Mild is a regular beer here, so we decided to give it a go. It was a lot quieter than on my previous visit in September, in the absence of my friend's friends, family and colleagues, which made it easy to revert to honesty about our domestic arrangements, as there were numerous tables where we could spread out and avoid contagion. The beer was not quite in top condition, in my view, but easily the most expensive of the day at £4 a pint (sorry, James, that it was your round).
    Come On You Hatters!

Default Covid-19 pub crawl in York - Phoenix Inn

Next on the list was the Phoenix Inn, one of my favourites when in York, just inside the city walls and thankfully away from the city centre's madness – no cake here. Our welcome here and in the previous two would have been a lesson to the two idiots in the Trembling Madness. We managed to secure two adjacent tables just inside the front room door; only two others were in use in this room. My pint of Wold Top Bitter was in good condition, but not as outstanding as the Black Sheep or the Sam's had been earlier. I managed to get a photo of the pump clip while wearing my mask. When the table opposite was vacated, the couple that had been sitting at the other occupied table decided to switch, which I considered to be a bit selfish, as it meant that the server now had to clean their previous table and would then have to clean the one they had moved to, which he had only just finished cleaning.
    Come On You Hatters!

Default Covid-19 pub crawl in York - Swan

We were just a couple of minutes behind schedule and had to cross the river again to the Swan. This is a lovely pub with a large drinking corridor, which I am sure has not had tables in it before. It's understandable that, with standing not allowed, they would want to use the space for drinkers of the seated variety, but I hope the standing tradition will not be forgotten when/if normality returns. I was pleased to see Dark Moon Masquerade on the blackboard here, a beer that I've often had at the Kelham Island Tavern. Our reception here was as friendly and helpful as elsewhere (with the obvious exception), but that was about to change.
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 19-10-2020 at 13:29.
    Come On You Hatters!

Default Covid-19 pub crawl in York - Golden Ball

Last pub of the day, before my 15 minute walk to the station, was the Golden Ball, another York pub with fond memories for me. The bar counter was off limits, but the pump clips were helpfully displayed on the corner of the corridor as we logged in and sanitised our hands. We were shown to a couple of tables in the back room, with a view into the back yard. After ordering our drinks (Ainstey Oatmeal Stout – I just had a half as time was running short) we were relaxing with the crawl almost done and only a minor hiccup or two. My phone rang – a call from one of my daughters – so I put my mask on and walked out into the yard to answer it, taking my mask off as I left the pub. Immediately the young lass who had served us dashed out after me, telling me I had to wear a mask. I said, stating the obvious, that I was outside the pub and the requirement to wear one didn't apply. She said that the toilets were outside and government rules stated that customers had to wear a mask if going to the toilet. I said I wasn't going to the toilet, I was stepping out into the yard to take a phone call. She gave up on me, and I finished talking to my daughter. When I returned to OB and James I commented on the way the young lass had run out to remonstrate with me, but she must have heard me and came in to give me another tongue-lashing. I pointed out once again that the presence of the toilets in the yard didn't affect the obvious fact that the yard is outside, and therefore not an area where masks were obligatory. She didn't agree, but I felt that the rules of language, logic, topology and physics were on my side, while she didn't even have the prime minister on hers. Soon after it was time for me to drink up and leave, and I attempted conciliation on my way out, but I don't think she was too impressed.
    Come On You Hatters!

Default Covid-19 pub crawl in York

I'm glad that I decided to support York pubs (and the train operating companies) by spending Sunday afternoon on this pub crawl. Mostly it was fine - beer was good, the welcome and the application of rules was mostly good, and of course the company was better than good. Overall, it wasn't like a normal pub crawl, though. I tend to drink halves when crawling, but I have reverted to pints since the pubs reopened, because the hassle of entering a pub makes it seem silly to just have a half. The downside of this is (in my case at least) getting pissed a bit quicker than I used to. Add to this the chance of getting pissed off with the rules and how they are applied, and an argument is there waiting to happen. So I'll be happy to get back to my local pubs, where I know them and they know me. I may have another breakout before too long, though. Maybe Derby...
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 19-10-2020 at 13:31.
    Come On You Hatters!

sheffield hatter an interesting read
    Last edited by hondo; 19-10-2020 at 13:53.
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    sheffield hatter an interesting read
    Seconded!

After the Golden Ball James and I went to the York Tap to await our train, mostly OK but after checking in with the NHS app we were asked to fill in some intrusive form including email, Govt guidelines say venues "should not" ask for extra details, but fair enough; their gaff their rules. However I did ask to see their GDPR policy but got fobbed off, I suspect they don't actually have one.

I don't think the House of the Trembling Madness will receive any future custom from me, the jury's out on the Golden Ball and Tap.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I'm glad that I decided to support York pubs (and the train operating companies) by spending Sunday afternoon on this pub crawl. Mostly it was fine - beer was good, the welcome and the application of rules was mostly good, and of course the company was better than good. Overall, it wasn't like a normal pub crawl, though. I tend to drink halves when crawling, but I have reverted to pints since the pubs reopened, because the hassle of entering a pub makes it seem silly to just have a half. The downside of this is (in my case at least) getting pissed a bit quicker than I used to. Add to this the chance of getting pissed off with the rules and how they are applied, and an argument is there waiting to happen. So I'll be happy to get back to my local pubs, where I know them and they know me. I may have another breakout before too long, though. Maybe Derby...
    Glad you weren't put off by some of the over-zealous behaviour in York, I think any Tier2 places are going to be best tackled solo or in very small family groups.