Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How was it for you?

Default It's good to be back

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Just got back from the Gardeners Rest. Only three cask ales on, and two of them "blonde" or "gold", which is code for bland in my book, but the third was Empire West Coast Pale 4.3%, which could have been awful, but turned out to have a nice bitter finish and I had three pints. It's good to be back.

On checking times, it appears I drank three pints in a little short of three hours, but that must be quite a bit quicker than I've been drinking at home, as I'm not used to feeling quite this pissed (and that includes what I consumed yesterday - for anaesthetic purposes - during & after Luton Town's shocking performance against Reading, if performance is the right word).
    Today I called in at the Crow Inn soon after 4pm opening (it'll be 12 noon from Thursday). Fairly quiet, with several staff members adding to the atmosphere rather than working. Lovely beer though.

Atom Retrogade Motion 6% on cask – so good I had it twice – and Wander Beyond Dark Drift Barrel Aged (is that even a name?) 9.7% on keg at just £8.70 a pint (a third was enough for me). It was absolutely gorgeous – like mixing the dregs of red wine and Guinness the morning after a student party, but in a good way. It was good to be back.
    Come On You Hatters!

Glass Half Full

Many pubs are requesting advance booking and / or table seating deposits, up to £20. This deters casual drinkers popping in spontaneously and only wanting a few pints - less than £20 worth. Good for large groups (not socially distanced from one another) but the solitary drinker loses out

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by arthurchappell View Post
    Many pubs are requesting advance booking and / or table seating deposits, up to £20. This deters casual drinkers popping in spontaneously and only wanting a few pints - less than £20 worth. Good for large groups (not socially distanced from one another) but the solitary drinker loses out
    Popped into the Sun Inn in Stockton yesterday, all the measures were painful.

Nipped down the road to the Thomas Sheraton Wethers, much more relaxed.

Know where I'll be going in the future

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Had a wander around town to find most pubs were open but many with adjusted opening hours and the more food orientated closing by 8pm.Sadly the best real ale pub ,basically a micro ,is still only doing evening takeouts and no immediate plan to reopen.Cafe Rouge has gone.

So it was the 'spoons which got the custom.Well organised,much less furniture,one member of staff constantly cleaning surfaces and both guest ales priced at £2.10.I may have got used to the carbonation of bottled and canned beer,but it was a joy to slip down some real ale .I assume they can trace me from my app usage,I didn't bother leaving a filled out contact card.
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 09-07-2020 at 14:54.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

The Tapping the Admiral was open so popped in to see the inviting sight of 11 out of 12 pumps working but alas no space other than the drizzle in the rear concrete fag patio.
    Next, went to Lady Hamilton and the discipline was pretty good and with 22 people, was operating at about 75% capacity. However, one of the barmaids was sitting at a table chatting to her customers. Worse, the pub had run out of real ale so I had to go for a pint of Toast APA; cold fizz.
    Passing Southampton Arms and the place was essentially rammed so off to The Dartmouth Arms which was about 75% full, but again no ale left so plumped for a pint of some fizzy rubbish from the Camden Town Brewery.
    So I suppose I'll have to risk The Pineapple and hope for a seat and all five pumps working.
    Also, is it my imagination or are pubs getting progressively more full?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Cafe Rouge has gone.
    Tragic news, still plenty more dross on the site

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Also, is it my imagination or are pubs getting progressively more full?
    Not round my way but then most of the pubs here are shite, I'm sticking to deliveries mostly.

Today I called in at the Crow Inn soon after 4pm opening (it'll be 12 noon from Thursday). Fairly quiet, with several staff members adding to the atmosphere rather than working. Lovely beer though.

Atom Retrogade Motion 6% on cask – so good I had it twice – and Wander Beyond Dark Drift Barrel Aged (is that even a name?) 9.7% on keg at just £8.70 a pint (a third was enough for me). It was absolutely gorgeous – like mixing the dregs of red wine and Guinness the morning after a student party, but in a good way. It was good to be back.
    OMG So good I went back there today and had the same beers: Atom Retrogade Motion 6% on cask – two whole pints this time. What a very good beer this is. And got a bit carried away and had a half (not a third) of Wander Beyond Dark Drift Barrel Aged (still not really a name) 9.7%. Good grief.

I was in the Crow for about two hours, during which time most of the (I guess ten) tables were occupied, but anyone who went instead to the garden/back yard was soon called back in when a table became vacant. If I'd been at home drinking beers as strong as this, I reckon I'd have taken four or five hours to get through this much alcohol. Never mind. You only live once.
    Come On You Hatters!

OMG So good I went back there today and had the same beers: Atom Retrogade Motion 6% on cask – two whole pints this time. What a very good beer this is. And got a bit carried away and had a half (not a third) of Wander Beyond Dark Drift Barrel Aged (still not really a name) 9.7%. Good grief.

I was in the Crow for about two hours, during which time most of the (I guess ten) tables were occupied, but anyone who went instead to the garden/back yard was soon called back in when a table became vacant. If I'd been at home drinking beers as strong as this, I reckon I'd have taken four or five hours to get through this much alcohol. Never mind. You only live once.
    Steady on lad, alcohol can be dangerous for those not used to drinking strong ale in short order

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Steady on lad, alcohol can be dangerous for those not used to drinking strong ale in short order
    I got confused, there are so many government guidelines. Two metres unless it's not possible, in which case one metre plus. Plus what? Ah, plus a swift half of very strong beer. Got it!

At least I remembered to wash my hands at every opportunity.
    Come On You Hatters!