Ads not shown when logged in
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: How was it for you?

This Space For Hire

A Bank Holiday trip to Oxford with only four pub attempts, with quite different experiences:

The Holly Bush

My first new pub visited since August 2019 and ridiculous requirements, so - Mission: Impossible.

The Royal Oak

Smartphone required for QR scanning.

The Victoria

Smartphone required for QR scanning.

The Gardeners Arms

The mask-wearing barman told me (through the closed door) that I wouldn't be allowed in without a mask. Punters inside weren't wearing them so I've no idea what was going on.
    Last edited by Tris39; 01-09-2020 at 19:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post

The Gardeners Arms

The mask-wearing barman told me (through the closed door) that I wouldn't be allowed in without a mask. Punters inside weren't wearing them so I've no idea what was going on.
    Sounds all a bit bizarre.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Sounds all a bit bizarre.
    That'll be one of those tricks to keep out foreigners (in this case non-Oxfordshire people), an old favourite is pronouncing words totally differently to their spelling so as to identify the foreigners ( eg Stiffkey, Alcester, Masham, Alresford, Harwarden...)

Pandemic rules in Leeds last week:-

Templar Hotel
    Briefing at door, led to a table, table service only, two in lav max, card payments at your table, a quiet visit and fairly fast service. One way entrance /exit system in operation

Belgrave
    Directed to the roof terrace with my wrist band, via a fiercely efficient anti Covid entrance system, beer purchased at the bar card only then away with my hard plastic glass to my seat. One way entrance /exit system in operation

North, Leeds
    Table service only, track & trace via their wi-fi login, all carried out with aplomb - if you have a smartphone, also card only payments. Sanitizer on every table, although it’s the cheap soapy stuff that doesn’t evaporate and leaves your hands sticky for ages. Outside tables and slimline benches take up some of the road outside.

Whitelocks, Leeds
    No entry without giving personal details, booking is obviously desirable, conducted to table as it’s table service /card only, quiet on my visit but still slowish service.

Bankers Cat, Leeds
    They ask to take your card away for payment, err excuse me? I paid at the machine on the bar. Pick a table but no T&T other than your card. Table service only. Quiet on my visit.

General Elliot, Leeds
    Covid? What Covid? The only comprise here is the lack of furniture otherwise business as usual. *Pretty hot on Humphrey’s no phones rule though.

Sounds like you may have been lucky to have avoided entering there - could have been some sort of weird swinging session.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Sounds like you may have been lucky to have avoided entering there - could have been some sort of weird swinging session.
    A great pub in normal times.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

The Gardeners Arms

The landlord writes a column (or was writing a column) in the local Camra rag ("Oxford Drinker"). Be interesting to see what he has to say about re-opening and regulations when Camra branches are allowed to start re-producing their mags
    "Breakneck speed we drown ten pints of bitter"

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    General Elliot, Leeds
    Covid? What Covid? The only comprise here is the lack of furniture otherwise business as usual. *Pretty hot on Humphrey’s no phones rule though.
    Much the same last week in the Burns Hotel, Brigadier Gerard and Sea Horse in York.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    That'll be one of those tricks to keep out foreigners (in this case non-Oxfordshire people), an old favourite is pronouncing words totally differently to their spelling so as to identify the foreigners ( eg Stiffkey, Alcester, Masham, Alresford, Harwarden...)
    Yeah. But I lived in Oxford from 1993 to 2000, though we never ventured oop north so I didn't discover the place until our 2016 crawl. With family now having moved to the suburb of Marston, I go up quite frequently and always pop in. However, I very much doubt that there are any local Oxonians living in Jericho. Judging by house prices and all the Aston Martins, I suspect it's home to directors commuting to the cars' Gaydon HQ up the road in Warwickshire.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Given the Steampunk shenanigans that go on here I wouldn't be surprised if a mask was coded entry to a fetish party. And after four years, I'm surprised you have yet to submit a review for the place...

Quote Originally Posted by Komakino View Post
    The landlord writes a column (or was writing a column) in the local Camra rag ("Oxford Drinker"). Be interesting to see what he has to say about re-opening and regulations when Camra branches are allowed to start re-producing their mags
    Is this the landlord who looks startlingly like Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen and dresses in a rather eccentric Edwardian manner, cos this wasn't the bloke on duty last Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    A great pub in normal times.
    Yes. A must-visit when in any part of Oxford.
    Last edited by Tris39; 02-09-2020 at 18:47.

And after four years, I'm surprised you have yet to submit a review for the place...
    I very rarely write reviews of pubs that I go to on pub crawls. Especially on PuG crawls, as I know that half a dozen others will be writing reviews so I don't feel the need to write one myself. But thanks for pointing out my shortcomings. If there had been a swinging session going on, I'd have been sure to mention it, though.
    Come On You Hatters!