Ads not shown when logged in
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: How was it for you?

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Not that sort of encounter. This was just a bit of give-and-take. I said 50 years ago, not 150!
    Abolition was more recent than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Abolition was more recent than you think.
    Certainly encountered the cane and more so the slipper in my school years.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

pardon the pun caught the tail end of this in use https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-39044445
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    pardon the pun caught the tail end of this in use https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-39044445
    You really couldn't make this up. Talk about barbarous.

...he got belted one day for spelling Canada with a small 'c'.

He says: "It led to a mini breakdown. It was almost like a mental breakdown.

"The consequence of which was that I became withdrawn. I missed a couple of years of school."

Well, looking on the bright side, at least he won't be spelling Canada with a small 'c' again any time soon.

Gives a whole new meaning to "world-beating education system".
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Certainly encountered the cane and more so the slipper in my school years.
    Around 40 years ago and not even in our teens, myself and a couple of mates were mucking about in a school corridor. The headmaster's secretary summoned us to his study (below said corridor). He was livid and although the school had banned corporal punishment a few years earlier, he pulled out of a cupboard an old shoe with a solid wooden sole. To our horror he told us to bend over then there was an almighty 'thwack'. I felt no pain nor heard my friends scream. The headmaster told us to stand up whereupon we saw that he'd whacked the table as a warning: next time the table wouldn't be taking one for the team! A few years earlier, seemingly three miscreants were sent to him for the slipper. He gave them all six of the best at which point one boy through his tears said: 'But I was only outside your study because I was waiting to collect the school register!'

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Gives a whole new meaning to "world-beating education system".
    ...and apparently it carried on in the private sector until around 1999, so caned at 12, there are those out there who got it and yet are barely in their 30s!

And the Scottish lad may have spelled Canada with a small 'c', but I bet he went through life referring to his teacher as a big 'C'.
    Last edited by Tris39; 27-08-2020 at 18:57.

I was at school in Scotland in the 60s and got the tawse on my hand a couple of times, didn't half sting, in England a bit later I was whacked with a thick wooden yard long ruler across my arse - small potatoes compared to the strap. Also known as "getting a leathering" when your dad used his belt on you. Didn't do me any harm of course, can't stop I have an urgent appointment with Miss Whiplash.

This Space For Hire

It happened in my primary school around 1992, although I gather the headmaster had called the parents for permission first. It either happened in front of a whole assembly, or an assembly was called to explain what had happened.

I don't think any kids ran off site again...

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    I gather the headmaster had called the parents for permission first.
    What a jolly decent headmaster: 'Hello? Is that Mr Jones? Just a quick call to seek permission to beat your son during tomorrow morning's assembly. Thanks awfully.' And what obliging parents too...

The 'surprise' punishment we got from schoolteachers was the hand launched board rubber - that brick-sized block of wood with the felt pad which without warning, would fly across the classroom, striking the inattentive pupil right between the eyes, the rising cloud of chalk dust marking a direct hit. That DID hurt.
    Last edited by Tris39; 28-08-2020 at 19:20.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I have an urgent appointment with Miss Whiplash.
    We had a headmistress who was both liberal and brutal with the cane. I was caned twice between the ages of 5 and 7, both times causing bruising. I've never fantasised about repating the experience, but I'm not criticising you OB - each to his own, and have a good afternoon.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

This Space For Hire

Often got 6 of the best with the strap when I was a school boy.Sometimes very painful sometimes laughable.Always came down to whether the teacher doing it was a sadist or just going through the motions.