Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How was it for you?

Went to the Gardeners Rest this afternoon, but I forget to check their opening time, which is now 5pm at this time of week, so went to the Fat Cat instead. After a very nice pint of Kelham Island Best 3.8%, in superb condition and with a lovely bitter finish, I went back to the Gardeners. (They've dropped the website/email faffing that they had to start with, now it's just write your name and number on a pad and wash your hands.) Once inside I checked the pump clips - although it's table service but how do you know what you want if you don't look at the pump clips? Three beers on, every one of them pale and bland. No bitter, then, I asked the bar manager? He said that the last two bitters they had on, they had to throw four or five gallons away. He reckons that the older customers who drink it are not coming in. I didn't bother buying any of the bland beers - what's the point? Perhaps I should have posted this in the disappointment of the week thread. (Where's the emoji with tears running down?)
    Come On You Hatters!

First cask inside a pub in Wales since March 15th. It had to be Marstons Pedigree in the Wynnstay in Wrexham but it tasted delicious! Even Aqualung would have liked it! 😁

This Space For Hire

I have now been to seven pubs and they have all given much attention to serving arrangements and spaced out furniture, some have allocated tables while various provisions such as throwaway or cleanable menus have been evident. However apart from the very first two, none has insisted on taking contact details, some have the odd sign recommending signing in on an app or website while the latest made a point of taking my name, but no other details, which was pretty pointless! Are others finding pubs are ignoring this requirement? Were they getting too much hassle or has it fallen by the wayside as no-one has asked them to use it (yet)?

Apart from this I have certainly felt 'safe' in all of them, although I haven't been at potentially crowded times. My biggest gripe is the even-greater preponderance of Doom Bore, which seems to be the default option as a token ale in many pubs, even those which usually have a range.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    I have now been to seven pubs and they have all given much attention to serving arrangements and spaced out furniture, some have allocated tables while various provisions such as throwaway or cleanable menus have been evident. However apart from the very first two, none has insisted on taking contact details, some have the odd sign recommending signing in on an app or website while the latest made a point of taking my name, but no other details, which was pretty pointless! Are others finding pubs are ignoring this requirement? Were they getting too much hassle or has it fallen by the wayside as no-one has asked them to use it (yet)?

Apart from this I have certainly felt 'safe' in all of them, although I haven't been at potentially crowded times. My biggest gripe is the even-greater preponderance of Doom Bore, which seems to be the default option as a token ale in many pubs, even those which usually have a range.
    I've found signing in variable, but then we're only visiting village pubs in the afternoon when it's quiet, and only if we can sit outside. If we were contacted by the contact tracers we wouldn't have been close to anyone for long enough to be asked to isolate, or indeed vice versa. We don't use the loos.

That's not to say they shouldn't be towing the line, but I'm usually fairly relaxed if we're not logged.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 05-08-2020 at 19:07.

Been in 15 different pubs now since the reopening, only in one was there no signing in system or request to do so , only a notice on the wall asking that you comply with government guidelines, that said everything there was properly set out for the necessary distancing and adhered to. A couple of other pubs that I visit on a regular basis were taking down name and phone numbers but have now dispensed with this for their very regular customers, they know who we are and where we live. In my experience all the pubs I've been in, including a couple of micropubs, have felt and I am sure are safe , far more so than the free for all that is the supermarkets and high streets.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 05-08-2020 at 20:07.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

A couple of my local pubs started off with asking people to scan QR codes but met so much resistance that they just fell back on the obvious (but not secure) pad of paper. I liked one pub where there was a box of clean pens and another of ones that have already been used. But if you've just used sanitiser on your hands on entering the pub, how dirty are the dirty pens going to be?

In a couple of places we were not asked for contact details if going to sit in the garden, but I guess those who chose to sit inside would have been asked for names and contact details. Most pubs I've been in have been making sure customers write their names & numbers, or asking for details if that's the way they're doing it. I think the authoirities should have been insisting on a consistent approach, but if they'd settled on the QR code as the only acceptable system, the pubs would have lost more custom than they have.

I was reading today about the pathetic numbers of calls being made by the track and trace teams, and the high proportion of calls that were either phony numbers or went straight to voicemail. Do the calls identify that they're from Track & Trace? I know a lot of people who won't answer calls that are not from their contacts.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Been in 15 different pubs now since the reopening.
    I haven't adapted my spreadsheets to collect this information, but on a rough count I've been to just short of 30 different pubs since 4 July, several of them more than once (I've been on holiday, which helped bump the total). There was only one that felt like it might have been even slightly risky, which was in Ramsbottom - a shop conversion, though more of a bar than a micropub, where the sole staff member's requests for people to keep their distance from each other were completely ignored. (There were between 12 and 18 in, at a rough guess.) I went to a table away from others, as requested, but was engaged in conversation by several people who were not maintaining two metres distance from me, but no one was actually sitting on my lap, so I was fairly ok with it.

It's got to be said that after a few beers, whatever flimsy ability you used to have in the field of risk assessment gets pretty much wiped out. Sorry, I meant whatever ability I used to have. I'm sure you're more sensible, Mick.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I'm sure you're more sensible, Mick.
    The pubs I've attended have made sure I've been sensible, although during a session at the local things can quickly become more relaxed.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Visited five pubs in two days and none have asked for contact details and are noticeably more slack on the sanitiser too. Then again, I am actively avoiding the pubs with ‘wait to be seated’ or vast lists of rules at the door, so my experience may not be representative.

This Space For Hire

Only been out twice but the second time I went local and asked for a space in the garden under the shelter ,standing up as I like a fag Nae problem until we had a thunderstorm and the people who had tables with no umbrellas decided to invade our space.Fucking chaos.