Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer help!

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Default Computer help!

A bit cheeky but I'm stumped.

I have a new desktop pc (Toshiba) and have received a new router from my provider (Talk Talk) which is compatable with the new operating system which is Windows 7. I have installed the router following the instructions, and the computer recognises it. When I try to connect however it won't.
    I've followed the troubleshooting guide...ie obtain an IP address automatically and obtain DNS server address auto but no resolution.

I'm certainly no computer techy but before I have to wind myself up phoning India does anyone know if I've missed something basic?

I've tried on my old ie this pc, which has just given me a box saying I have not assigned a network address to the computer but I'm unsure what that entails if indeed it is the issue.
    Last edited by Maldenman; 25-07-2010 at 16:01.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I'll probably get some of this wrong as I am terrible at remote support.

For the sort of thing you are talking about you generally have 2 connections going on, the Internet to the router/modem, which will involve some settings on the router (although done through the computer). And the connection from the router/modem to your computer, which will involve settings on both the computer and router. Anyway, it helps to know which bit is not working.

So how are you sending this? Presumably using your old PC, but is it also using your old router? If so I am assuming the "not assigned a network address to the computer" is coming up when you use the new router, and you can't actually see the Internet.

Would also be interested to know if your router has a model number (feel free to PM me that for privacy)? And if it is vaguely as I have described can your new computer connect through your old router?

I am happy to try and help out here, but early warning, this could take a lot of posts

Yes Conrad, I'm on my old machine which uses an old modem.

I tried to set up firstly on the new machine but then repeated for the old one as an experiment, which is where I received the msg.

Basically I connected the router to the phone socket and mains, checked the lights, working ok, switched the pc on and found the router ID, then typed in the password as the sticker on the router. Status says connected but then says not connected to the internet. My new computer and my old modem are not compatible, modem no good for Windows 7.

I'm not sure which is the model number.

I really don't wish to take up loads of your or anyone's time, I'm just wondering if there is a basic step that I've not done.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

That all sounds reasonable to me, no obvious mistakes.

I am happy to bumble along here, it is easy enough to just throw out ideas onto the forum. Equally you will probably get quicker results by phoning our offshore friends at this point (or not if they are like Virgin ).

I probably shouldn't suggest this, but have you tried plugging your old modem into your new computer without installing the software

If it is a router and you are connecting via a network cable (looks like a bigger telephone connector) it strikes me as quite odd getting a not assigned a network address error. If it a modem and has a USB connection (flat block like connector) then that implies to me that talktalk is not connecting to the new modem (may require an activation phone call?).

Ok thanks Conrad.

I tried plugging the old modem in but it seems it isn't compatible with the operating system.

Perhaps it needs a call, I'll do it tomorrow I think, my previous experiences have shown me that the competent people , who are few, do not work weekends!

Cheers anyway.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Ah, sorry I couldn't help.

Shame that the modem is not compatible with Windows 7, that was something they were supposed to sort out, but I have to admit I have run into that problem with Win 7 as well.

Fingers crossed it is something simple that they get straight away.

My dear old mum had the same problems with a TalkTalk modem/router when first installed, everything looked good but it couldn't connect to the Internet. I phoned up TalkTalk support and they checked out everything and it was fine but the solution was to wait 24 hours with it left on so it could "sync" (my 3com synced within 30s). BT has the same kind of issues with their Homehub. So leave it on for 24 hours then see what happens and if there's no joy phone up the support line (they are in UK I think) and get them to see if they can get into the ADSL modem from their end.

Don't these things all work on DHCP these days? The IP properties needs to be set to automatic rather than having a fixed ip address.

OK OB, thanks for that, I'll give it a try overnight.

The UK support is fine but it's pot luck with who you get. There is an Asian centre where sadly they can never deal with anything beyond the straightforward.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    My dear old mum had the same problems with a TalkTalk modem/router when first installed, everything looked good but it couldn't connect to the Internet. I phoned up TalkTalk support and they checked out everything and it was fine but the solution was to wait 24 hours with it left on so it could "sync" (my 3com synced within 30s). BT has the same kind of issues with their Homehub. So leave it on for 24 hours then see what happens and if there's no joy phone up the support line (they are in UK I think) and get them to see if they can get into the ADSL modem from their end.

Don't these things all work on DHCP these days? The IP properties needs to be set to automatic rather than having a fixed ip address.
    I really need to learn more about networking one day, that sync stuff seems a bit extravagant but doesn't surprise me. Hopefully it sorts it, I hate trying to deal with tech support, but that may just be me.

I don't remember the last time I saw a home connection not on DHCP. Someone like AOL who run their own subnet may be using assigned IP, but I don't think so.

Well it didn't synch and it's still not working. Looks like an evening on the phone coming up!

Erm, what's DHCP?