Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: So Harvey's is a Yorkshire beer?

Default So Harvey's is a Yorkshire beer?

No, of course not, but this video featuring head brewer Miles Jenner (in full amateur thespian mode) explains the unexpected link between the Tadcaster Brewery Company (i.e. John Smith's Magnet Ales) and the pride of Lewes: Harvey's Brewery | 60th Anniversary of our yeast...

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    No, of course not, but this video featuring head brewer Miles Jenner (in full amateur thespian mode) explains the unexpected link between the Tadcaster Brewery Company (i.e. John Smith's Magnet Ales) and the pride of Lewes: Harvey's Brewery | 60th Anniversary of our yeast...
    Interesting, John Smiths would surely have been fermented in Yorkshire squares at that time and the yeast would be most suited to that method I assume.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Thanks for that. Very interesting.

One question: why were they getting regular deliveries of yeast from Burton, but have used just the one delivery from Tadcaster since 1957? Surely the Burton yeast could have been skimmed, stored and used again just like the Tadcaster one?
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    One question: why were they getting regular deliveries of yeast from Burton, but have used just the one delivery from Tadcaster since 1957? Surely the Burton yeast could have been skimmed, stored and used again just like the Tadcaster one?
    That's what puzzled me, although their contract with the British Pure Yeast Company most likely would have prohibited this, but why the Tadcaster Brewery Company was happy enough to make a one-off sale (although perhaps they thought a favour in return might be needed from another brewer at some future time)?