Visit Wee Beefy's Pub Blog site

Ay oop,

I am hoping that the combination of these two frankly excellent brewery names together does not somehow cause offence to German speakers - not because it will, simply because all of you whom have cringed at my appalling attempts to "translate " the phrase make yourself all honey and the flies will devour you into German using a book in the 1990s will know, German is not a language I can write or speak. I can't even remember the word meaning a face that needs to be slapped, even though Tash and Vicky P are well aware.....

So, these are two absolutely stunning German breweries whom I have discovered at Shakespeares and Bar Stewards in the last six months - AKA my second and third homes. Its important to note that in June I got a large number of excellent bottled German beers including the erstwhile brilliance of Augustiner Edelstoft, but I have to admit that prior to 2020, apart maybe from some Bavarian style hoppy beers brewed in London, the name of which at present escapes me, I haven't been blown away by the output of Germany. A recent taste of Paulaner Salvator reminded me how good that was, but this week I have been blown away by the beers of Frau Gruber. And since I heard of them after Fuerst Wiacek I figured they both warrant a mention.

It was probably 2019 when I first came across Fuerst. I remember trying and really enjoying one of their IPAs at Shakespeares and being impressed by the excellent build up, boldness and overall output of this beer. That said am unable to recall which particular brew this was, but I do distinctly remember the suggestion of it's excellence by Lucienne and others. It did not disappoint.

This month I have got hold of four beers in can (its the future) from Frau Gruber. Since I have drunk those recently, and am on one now, my details are more succinct. On Friday, both the Stewards as well as Archer Road Beer Stop dropped off two large orders, and since the first came at noon I started the day's drinking at 13.00 with Frau Gruber Helles.

At just 4.8% and actually clear (see many previous posts about my love of soup) despite my early start I drank this cracking lager beer in about ten minutes. Smooth, obviously, refreshing, perhaps more so, and also perfectly balanced. I have a can left which am going to use to start my birthday drinks soon - as well as a Schoffenhoffer pineapple lager beer.

Next up was their 24/7 a 5.2% Hopfengestopftes unfiltriertes Helles. Not as soup like as I had naturally expected this was still another firm favourite - weirdly it was perhaps a little less easy to sup than their standard Helles.

I had heard much praise for their 6.8% Purple Haze, a double dry hopped IPA - and this was much deserved. Once again it was perfectly balanced, as well, of course, as perfectly cloudy. Its interesting to note that they don't name the hops that they use but they do use oat malt, which may help to explain their absolute ease of consumption. The thing is however the stronger beers are just as easy to drink - and in receipt of widespread acclaim.

Once again this includes tonight's tipple - the 8.0% Eden Project double dry hopped Imperial India Pale Ale. Cloudy once more, not listing the hops used, again using oat malt, but the main delight is how reassuringly balanced it is. Am drinking this slowly since am typing but I could have finished it long ago - the balance is wonderful since some of the malt and the yeast used create a sweetness, but it blends so well into the flavour and the aftertaste that the blend of all these features is seemless.

I now just need t find out if I have another can of this.....

Meanwhile I send my thanks and appreciation to both breweries for producing such a wonderful range of easy supping oaty, hoppy, delights.

Cheers!

We Beefy

More...