Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 24 Hour drinking to be banned ?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I suppose I don't think that it makes them any worse packing them into one place, just means that you know where they will be. But I take your point, it could just lead to the creation of powder kegs.

This Space For Hire

Which is what I was on about....VDEs were actively courted by local authorities around 20 years ago to promote their 'night-time economies' in the belief that it would bring people and employment to otherwise deserted town centres. It did both but the law of unintended consequences operates. Town centres are now actively avoided at weekends by many, a large amount of business is generated for the police and NHS, and many local pubs in suburbs and surrounding villages have had enough of their clientele sucked away by the bright lights - those young enough not yet to have kids and therefore have a few bob in their pockets - to become unviable, leaving the rest of us high and dry.

Glass Half Full

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    I'm guessing here but I reckon a VDE is a Vertical Drinking Establishment?
    As opposed to HDE? Most places, I start in one, and end up seeing it the opposite way round by teh end of a good night//
    Last edited by ptg; 25-07-2010 at 17:20. Reason: Cocked up - deleted a bracket

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Oh boy, am I glad I am an afternoon drinker.

We toured Southern Ireland a couple of years ago and went into a shop that had a bar out the back door.

A pub on the far west of the dingle peninsula became a brewpub while we were there.

Sorry, VDE = Verticle Drinking Establishment.

When I was *ahem* 16, I went to 1 of 3 pubs in the town that would serve me. The publican's were all members of the dodgy handshake group, as was my dad. I knew, without anything being said, that if I got in the slightest bit of bother in one of the pubs my dad would have something to say with the back of his hand. I can still remember the night when one of the landlords let my friends and I have a 4th pint!

Nowadays, large bald-headed men stand outside the VDEs making sure nobody can experience it unless they're 18, at which point they are ushered in and provided with a wide choice of ways to get as drunk as possible as cheaply as possible. Make that 1 pub into a street of VDEs and you have Daily Wail cannon-fodder. The guy on the outskirts, sadly mistaken in the thought that cheaper drinks will bring more customers, provides exactly the same drinks at slightly higher prices. A pub owner with a bit of nonce will provide something different, be it different lagers or gastro food or a skittles alley etc etc. Obviously the tie has not helped matters but the amount of pubs offering the same old same old means lessons haven't been learnt yet.

My 2p
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post
    pub owner with a bit of nonce will provide something different, be it different lagers or gastro food or a skittles alley etc etc. Obviously the tie has not helped matters but the amount of pubs offering the same old same old means lessons haven't been learnt yet.
    Oddly enough I was in the Farmer at Catherington this lunchtime,the landlord was telling me how Fuller's want him to be "themed" and be more wine bar, thus same old same old. He has wisely decided that a country style pub, with varied menu [wild boar stew for instance] is more in keeping with the area & customers. I agree with him

"a country style pub, with varied menu [wild boar stew for instance] is more in keeping with the area & customers." quote Farway.

Corr you get some class road kill down your way. All we get is fricassee of rabbit ,pigeon or the odd hedgehog. But at least its wild, or at least mildly annoyed.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Default Oh, guess what, the facts are wrong

Well, here's a surprise, a politician has got her facts wrong on 24 hour drinking and lawlessness, who would have thought it ?

http://www.fullfact.org/articles/hom...ol_crime_claim

Brownhills ,Staffs one of my early places of residence, was recently named the gun capitol of England as a result of a misinterpreted question under the FoI Act. It transpired one youth gassed 8 classmates with a CS canister during the time of the study. There is so much data being collected, by so many agencies using different criteria how is any of it to be applied to a standard bench mark. By the sounds of this report all the Police Forces are individually collecting information which can only be used at a National Level with a great deal of effort.More overtime for somebody. Ministers love these statistics but few know how to read them because researchers do everything for them. I love it when they fall on their well padded backsides.
    Talking of well padded a Govt Minister has said obese people should be called fat. Fine by me , I look in the the bathroom mirror and see a fat bloke. I am just glad I am no longer obese because thin people would laugh at me before I punched them in the face.