Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: 24 Hour drinking to be banned ?

Threaded View

Default 24 Hour drinking to be banned ?

Well that was the headline yesterday.People asked me if I knew any pubs open for 24 hours. I think they may have missed the point of the legislation but you make allowances living this far out in the sticks.My town has no social or night clubs, just five straightforward pubs They open at 11 am and usually close at 11pm. Afternoon opening is standard where as before they closed and customers , if they so wished,purchased any extra from the super market. I see no more drunks toddling home than I did as a copper forty years ago, yes there are some but its no big deal.Groups of late teens /early twenties can be noisy but not overly troublesome.
    Being a solitary Grumpy Old Man I do most of my pub drinking in the afternoon and / or early evening with a similar bunch of Grumpies putting the world to rights. No trouble as long as we keep off the subject of other mens wives or bits on the side. Religion and Politics are pretty boring these days.It is an informal club that under the old licensing laws would not be available to us.
    I think far to much media attention has been on the vomit covered streets of city centers, caused by binge drinking youngsters and middle aged who should know better.The councils are closing social centres for the older ones, and selling the sites to Tesco. The pub is once again becoming a meeting place throughout the day for the pensioner, well they have to go somewhere untill some bright spark decides those over working age can be economicaly and painlessly put down.I forgot, most of you lot will have to work till you drop.

Here starteth Arwkites Aimless Saturday Ramble off to the pub
    Last edited by arwkrite; 24-07-2010 at 11:40.