Visit the Boak and Bailey's Beer Blog site

Maybe one of the reasons I can spot a pub a mile off is early training playing pub cricket on long car journeys as a child.

Pub cricket, as we used to play it in my family, is based on spotting pub signs and calculating runs based on the number of legs on the sign.
So for example, the Red Lion has four legs.
The Swan with Two Necks has two.
The Coach and Horses has… well, there’s a question. In our version we assumed that if no specific number was depicted in the image on the sign then there could only be two horses, and would therefore count eight legs by default. And then get into a row about whether the coach driver should also be counted, of course, which was half the fun.
There were further questions of interpretation around pubs with Heads and Arms in the name. If a pub is The Queen’s Head, is it fair to assume the Queen also has legs?
Wikipedia includes further variants, including ways of deciding whether a player is out or not.
As Wikipedia suggests, this game was actually much better suited to the network of British A-roads, before the development of motorways.
To account for this, in my family, we ended up adapting the game as motorway cricket, which had complex rules based on the number of wheels on passing lorries. It really wasn’t so much fun, because pubs are better than lorries.
Did you play pub cricket as a kid? What were your family’s rules?
Games people play: pub cricket originally posted at Boak & Bailey's Beer Blog

More...