Visit The Beer Nut site

If there are two nations famous worldwide for their sense of humour it's the Germans and the Norwegians. It's surprising, then, that there aren't more knockabout comedic collaborations from their respective breweries. Here's one though: Lervig has invited Bamberg's Mahrs in to create something they've called Franconian Haze.

It's badged as a festweizen, the name and style suggesting to me it ought to be hazy, but it's not -- it's a clear medium copper shade. It smells like a weizen, though: that hit of butane and bananas. The flavour continues very much in that theme, with the lighter-fuel side the dominant element. Though 5.5% ABV it's thin textured for a weissbier; crisp and sharp rather than rounded and fruity. I can't say it tastes specifically Bavarian to me -- this is a flavour profile that breweries the world over have mastered without difficulty.

A decent beer, overall, I suppose, though not worth the hefty price tag that being small-batch brewed in Norway has placed upon it. Buy a German import in a large bottle instead.

More...