Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Photos for new

Default Old Photos for new

What do people think we should do with 10-15 year old pub photos being submitted as "new", some long closed pubs others where the name was changed years ago, others where the signage is datable by the obsolete style or defunct brewery name.

It surely doesn't look good for pubs to have a photo dated May 2020 when it was obviously taken about 2008?

Depends on why it's been posted. If there's no other photo it might help identify the building, and if it's part of a historic continuum it's good to see how things have changed.

But if it adds no actual value, adds nothing to the story and doesn't provide any practical help, let's not waste server space.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    It surely doesn't look good for pubs to have a photo dated May 2020 when it was obviously taken about 2008?
    Quite, but they still have some interest, so I am approving but generally suppressing them from the front page where the decoration and/or signage has obviously changed in the meantime.

However, I'm not sure whether other dwarves are taking the same approach?

This also brings to mind an old thread (that I haven't tried finding) which noted that backdated reviews could have the correct date applied through the 'BITE Mass Migration Tool' but the same doesn't apply to photographs.

I would say that if it's the only photo then it's better than nothing, but if there's a more recently taken one then the old one should be suppressed. Enlarging the question slightly, in the case of a photo uploaded some years ago which was current when it was uploaded, should it be suppressed when a more recent one becomes available? My view would be 'yes' if the appearance of the pub has changed in the interim. I don't think it helps to have an old photo on the front page, but of course any old superseded photos are still available to anyone who wants to view them and can provide a useful historical record of the appearance of the pub over the years.

Just Missed the Round

Personally, I like looking at old photos, but it would be helpful if there was a way of "backdating" so they appeared with a date from the correct era.

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    Personally, I like looking at old photos, but it would be helpful if there was a way of "backdating" so they appeared with a date from the correct era.
    I presume this thread was started because Adam Bell has uploaded shed loads of photos since lockdown. I've only uploaded a handful of photos that are "old" in the context of this discussion - a few times I've written a review and realised that I'd forgotten to upload the photo, for example (but that's usually only a matter of days later; ok, up to a few weeks, maybe). Or recently I realised that on one of my very first cycle rides where pub photography was "a thing" (autumn 2010), I'd photographed about 10 pubs in Cambridge but only uploaded three or four.

Surely the date the photo was taken is included with the information that is uploaded? (Or, at least, the date that the camera/phone "thought" it was.) Would it be possible to extract this information so that it can be displayed alongside the photo? Sounds like it could be a lot of work and not really worthwhile. It would be nice if older photos could be identified as such, but I personally would not exclude them from the site if they couldn't be.
    Come On You Hatters!

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I presume this thread was started because Adam Bell has uploaded shed loads of photos since lockdown. I've only uploaded a handful of photos that are "old" in the context of this discussion - a few times I've written a review and realised that I'd forgotten to upload the photo, for example (but that's usually only a matter of days later; ok, up to a few weeks, maybe). Or recently I realised that on one of my very first cycle rides where pub photography was "a thing" (autumn 2010), I'd photographed about 10 pubs in Cambridge but only uploaded three or four.

Surely the date the photo was taken is included with the information that is uploaded? (Or, at least, the date that the camera/phone "thought" it was.) Would it be possible to extract this information so that it can be displayed alongside the photo? Sounds like it could be a lot of work and not really worthwhile. It would be nice if older photos could be identified as such, but I personally would not exclude them from the site if they couldn't be.
    I guess that during lockdown, people have more time on their hands to go through old photos, so I guess this is bound to happen.

Perhaps a workaround could be that the uploader of the photo adds a one line review to the pub giving a bit more info on when the photos were taken. Not ideal and no guarantee anyone would look at it, of course. But for pubs that don't attract a lot of reviews, it could be worth it.

I guess the other angle is that the dwarf approving the photo then has to realise it is a historical photo and suppress it in favour of more recent examples. For some photos I imagine it would be pretty obvious, especially if they date back decades, but for photos that are only 10 years old or so, it might not be obvious at first glance.

I guess the other angle is that the dwarf approving the photo then has to realise it is a historical photo and suppress it in favour of more recent examples. For some photos I imagine it would be pretty obvious, especially if they date back decades, but for photos that are only 10 years old or so, it might not be obvious at first glance.
    As previously mentioned, this is what I try to do, but just adding a 'Date taken' field to be entered when uploading a photograph (even if only approximate in the case of older pictures) would seem to be the easiest answer?

NB - If photographs are renamed, resized, rotated, cropped or otherwise modified in any way (e.g. contrast or colour balance) the date / time metadata will probably be lost so it would appear very difficult to automatically extract the required information in many cases?

Perhaps a workaround could be that the uploader of the photo adds a one line review to the pub giving a bit more info on when the photos were taken. Not ideal and no guarantee anyone would look at it, of course. But for pubs that don't attract a lot of reviews, it could be worth it.

Your suggestions are good ones, but when I stop to consider how much hassle is potentially involved, I begin to wonder if this is really a problem that we have to go to such lengths to solve. If there's a simple solution, easily obtained from the data attached to the photos, that's one thing. But expecting extras, such as you propose, by multiple individuals and then expect nothing to go wrong...

I would suggest that, if there is no simple IT solution, we should just leave things as they are.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post

You are alluding to Metadata which will be embedded in a photo taken on a digital device, obviously a scan will not include this, sadly loading onto Pubs Galore appears to strip the Metadata. It may remain somewhere in the database, Dave would be able to say (probably).