Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Old Photos for new

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    5,394

    Default Old Photos for new

    What do people think we should do with 10-15 year old pub photos being submitted as "new", some long closed pubs others where the name was changed years ago, others where the signage is datable by the obsolete style or defunct brewery name.


    It surely doesn't look good for pubs to have a photo dated May 2020 when it was obviously taken about 2008?
    Drink drink, whoever you may be,
    we are the drunk and disorderly,
    and we’ll drink more beer wherever we may be,
    and we’ll meet you all in a pub said he.

    Dr Busker

  2. #2
    Humble Wordsmith ETA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Normally Somerset, sometimes on a yacht.
    Posts
    1,336

    Default

    Depends on why it's been posted. If there's no other photo it might help identify the building, and if it's part of a historic continuum it's good to see how things have changed.

    But if it adds no actual value, adds nothing to the story and doesn't provide any practical help, let's not waste server space.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

  3. #3
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    3,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    It surely doesn't look good for pubs to have a photo dated May 2020 when it was obviously taken about 2008?
    Quite, but they still have some interest, so I am approving but generally suppressing them from the front page where the decoration and/or signage has obviously changed in the meantime.

    However, I'm not sure whether other dwarves are taking the same approach?

    This also brings to mind an old thread (that I haven't tried finding) which noted that backdated reviews could have the correct date applied through the 'BITE Mass Migration Tool' but the same doesn't apply to photographs.

  4. #4
    This Space For Hire Rex_Rattus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    New Malden
    Posts
    1,297

    Default

    I would say that if it's the only photo then it's better than nothing, but if there's a more recently taken one then the old one should be suppressed. Enlarging the question slightly, in the case of a photo uploaded some years ago which was current when it was uploaded, should it be suppressed when a more recent one becomes available? My view would be 'yes' if the appearance of the pub has changed in the interim. I don't think it helps to have an old photo on the front page, but of course any old superseded photos are still available to anyone who wants to view them and can provide a useful historical record of the appearance of the pub over the years.

  5. #5
    Glass Half Empty
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    241

    Default

    Personally, I like looking at old photos, but it would be helpful if there was a way of "backdating" so they appeared with a date from the correct era.

  6. #6
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    Personally, I like looking at old photos, but it would be helpful if there was a way of "backdating" so they appeared with a date from the correct era.
    I presume this thread was started because Adam Bell has uploaded shed loads of photos since lockdown. I've only uploaded a handful of photos that are "old" in the context of this discussion - a few times I've written a review and realised that I'd forgotten to upload the photo, for example (but that's usually only a matter of days later; ok, up to a few weeks, maybe). Or recently I realised that on one of my very first cycle rides where pub photography was "a thing" (autumn 2010), I'd photographed about 10 pubs in Cambridge but only uploaded three or four.

    Surely the date the photo was taken is included with the information that is uploaded? (Or, at least, the date that the camera/phone "thought" it was.) Would it be possible to extract this information so that it can be displayed alongside the photo? Sounds like it could be a lot of work and not really worthwhile. It would be nice if older photos could be identified as such, but I personally would not exclude them from the site if they couldn't be.
    Come On You Hatters!

  7. #7
    Glass Half Empty
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I presume this thread was started because Adam Bell has uploaded shed loads of photos since lockdown. I've only uploaded a handful of photos that are "old" in the context of this discussion - a few times I've written a review and realised that I'd forgotten to upload the photo, for example (but that's usually only a matter of days later; ok, up to a few weeks, maybe). Or recently I realised that on one of my very first cycle rides where pub photography was "a thing" (autumn 2010), I'd photographed about 10 pubs in Cambridge but only uploaded three or four.

    Surely the date the photo was taken is included with the information that is uploaded? (Or, at least, the date that the camera/phone "thought" it was.) Would it be possible to extract this information so that it can be displayed alongside the photo? Sounds like it could be a lot of work and not really worthwhile. It would be nice if older photos could be identified as such, but I personally would not exclude them from the site if they couldn't be.
    I guess that during lockdown, people have more time on their hands to go through old photos, so I guess this is bound to happen.

    Perhaps a workaround could be that the uploader of the photo adds a one line review to the pub giving a bit more info on when the photos were taken. Not ideal and no guarantee anyone would look at it, of course. But for pubs that don't attract a lot of reviews, it could be worth it.

    I guess the other angle is that the dwarf approving the photo then has to realise it is a historical photo and suppress it in favour of more recent examples. For some photos I imagine it would be pretty obvious, especially if they date back decades, but for photos that are only 10 years old or so, it might not be obvious at first glance.

  8. #8
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    5,394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post

    Surely the date the photo was taken is included with the information that is uploaded? (Or, at least, the date that the camera/phone "thought" it was.) Would it be possible to extract this information so that it can be displayed alongside the photo? Sounds like it could be a lot of work and not really worthwhile. It would be nice if older photos could be identified as such, but I personally would not exclude them from the site if they couldn't be.
    You are alluding to Metadata which will be embedded in a photo taken on a digital device, obviously a scan will not include this, sadly loading onto Pubs Galore appears to strip the Metadata. It may remain somewhere in the database, Dave would be able to say (probably).
    Drink drink, whoever you may be,
    we are the drunk and disorderly,
    and we’ll drink more beer wherever we may be,
    and we’ll meet you all in a pub said he.

    Dr Busker

  9. #9
    Glass Half Empty
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    As previously mentioned, this is what I try to do, but just adding a 'Date taken' field to be entered when uploading a photograph (even if only approximate in the case of older pictures) would seem to be the easiest answer?
    That would appear to be the sensible solution, without trying to get too fancy.

  10. #10
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    5,394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    That would appear to be the sensible solution, without trying to get too fancy.
    Depends if it gets used, it would need to be mandatory to stand any chance of being useful, remember some people can't even get a photo the right way up or indeed attached to the correct pub.


    It doesn't need to happen, it may not be important to some people that a visitor looking at a photo labelled May2020 would assume it was taken close to that date, a quick look at other photos of the same pub may reveal to the viewer that it was an incorrect date label, their reaction is likely to be "what a bunch of useless numpties, can't even get the photos in the right order, must be a crap site"
    Drink drink, whoever you may be,
    we are the drunk and disorderly,
    and we’ll drink more beer wherever we may be,
    and we’ll meet you all in a pub said he.

    Dr Busker

Similar Threads

  1. My Photos
    By PaulOfHorsham in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-05-2020, 16:43
  2. Help with photos please
    By Al 10000 in forum Requests
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 11-05-2014, 00:07
  3. New photos on PuG
    By Farway in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-08-2013, 14:29
  4. Pub Photos
    By Al 10000 in forum Requests
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2011, 16:04

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •