Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Local Pubs

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Distance between St Helens and Wigan 9.6 miles. Stretching the local a bit far?
    St Helens is about 4 miles from me and Wigan about 5.5 miles but the pubs in both are good enough to justify stretching my definition of local.

non local drinker
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Unfortunately my favourite local pub was scheduled to close for renovation and new management in June so that's gone for good unless the changes aren't too bad. I will see if and when it reopens.

My nearest decent pubs otherwise are in York or Harrogate, not exactly walking distance for me.

How far is local.Walking distance?
    Just visiting fairly often, mode of transport is neither here nor there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I am talking about local in the sense of visiting regularly, i.e 3-4 times a week and being part of that particular pub community.

Well, that explains why you chose just two pubs, Mick. After all, none of us are going to be visiting 10 pubs three or four times a week!

My 10 accounted for 214 out of my 847 pub visits last year, and were my most frequently visited pubs in my home town (though I listed them without reference to my spreadsheet). This year the same 10 have accounted for 63 out of 233 pub visits up to 20 March, though if I'd based my 10 on this year's figures I would have to have included the Old Grindstone at the expense of the Ecclesall Ale Club.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Dubliners, Thornaby
    Golden Smog, Stockton
    Hope and Union, Stockton
    Top of the Hops, Stockton

How far is local.Walking distance?
    The words "local" and "regular" mean different things to each person depending on your environment. I have 4 pubs in 5 mins walk then next pubs are 30 to 40 mins walk. I class local favourites as 15 minute walk, bus or train ride (or drive if someone else is driving!) + odd exceptions.

First pub - 3 minute walk from home
    Last pub - 3 minute walk from Carrog station at the end of "regular" steam train ride!

The Bridge End Inn
    The Vaults
    Black Lion
    Duke Of Wellington
    The Ponsonby Arms
    The Sun Inn
    The Corn Mill
    Chainbridge Hotel
    Aqueduct Inn
    The Grouse

This Space For Hire

Given that they have poor ale choices and high prices can they be favourites?
    Well...they are very nice places to drink but they are my locals (25 mins). The best ale pubs (and what I'd call proper pubs) are spookily on an almost straight line through my flat, being the Wenlock or the Express, which are hardly local.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

My favourite pub within walking distance of home is The Old Cross Tavern,sadly it is small and would struggle to fit more than 15 punters with 2m distancing.

The Black Horse has however a generous back garden ,not at all obvious to non locals so an ideal spot for a bit of social distancing from early July

Out boating ,there maybe a lot of scope for exterior drinking and I do have a supply of leather tankards if take outs are the only option.Lets hope this good weather extends well into July.Canals are due to reopen to more than short hops from June 1st .
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

We live midway between two villages with three pubs between them,say a minimum forty minute walk.I can't say that we've used any of them this past twelvemonth. We seem to have to travel further afield for an engaging pub,and if push came to shove, I would say that Larkins' Alehouse would be my "local", given that I often drop in on a Saturday lunchtime, when it is quiet. A good range of fairly local beers, and I am recognised.
    I think it is doing "take outs" on some evenings of the week, but I'm not sure.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    ...if push came to shove, I would say that Larkins' Alehouse would be my "local", given that I often drop in on a Saturday lunchtime, when it is quiet. A good range of fairly local beers, and I am recognised.
    I think it is doing "take outs" on some evenings of the week, but I'm not sure.
    Every day between 4 & 6, according to Facebook, and they were open for longer on Victory in Europe Day, but that's not much use to you now. Get yourself down there!
    Come On You Hatters!