Visit the Shut up about Barclay Perkins site

One of the most frustrating aspects of publishing historic UK recipes was the unavailability of brewing sugars. From the 1880s to the 1980s, there's barely a recipe which doesn't require them.

But, now, finally, the classic numbered invert sugars are available to home brewers in the US. It's a very happy day for me.

If you go in for conspiracy theories, you might see this as no coincidence. First I cleverly seed demand with all my recipes, then cash in by providing the sugars. I won't say that this didn't cross my mind. But manufacturing isn't my thing.

Last time I was in the USA, I had conversations with my mate Matt Becker of Brewery Becker (located in Brighton, Michigan) about brewing sugars. We had a couple of collaboration beers and he'd found the sugar supply situation very frustrating. So he decided to do something about it. By purchasing the equipment needed to manufacture it.

And finally he's at the point where it's available for sale. It's all very exciting.

I'd be really interested to hear from anyone who has made their own invert on how it compares with Matt's.

Disclaimer:
I make no direct profit from the sales of Matt's sugar. He is paying me a small sum for the advert which appears at the top left of this blog.

More...