Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: running a cellar without a coller or not?

Spritzer Swallower

Default running a cellar without a coller or not?

Hi there
    Do most cellars have collers, can they substain the optimum tempratre of 10-14C with out one

What would happen if the beer was pumped out of the cask and kegs at room temprature?

Quote Originally Posted by flatcap View Post
    Hi there
    Do most cellars have collers, can they substain the optimum tempratre of 10-14C with out one

What would happen if the beer was pumped out of the cask and kegs at room temprature?
    1. yes they (should) have coolers and no you cannot sustain a constant temperature without cooling equipment of some sort.

2. It wouldn't taste good (depending on your room temperature), that is one reason why bars have cool cellars or cool rooms and often a "python*" between cellar and bar to maintain the correct temperature which can be much less than 10C depending on the beer and local preferences.

*https://www.cellartrainingcourse.co.uk/page26.html

Spritzer Swallower

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    1. yes they (should) have coolers and no you cannot sustain a constant temperature without cooling equipment of some sort.

2. It wouldn't taste good (depending on your room temperature), that is one reason why bars have cool cellars or cool rooms and often a "python*" between cellar and bar to maintain the correct temperature which can be much less than 10C depending on the beer and local preferences.

*https://www.cellartrainingcourse.co.uk/page26.html
    Thanks for the link

I am going to have a look at a pub in Wigan tommorrow. not a lot going for it and a lot of the stuff was robbed (sold on) by the last land lady who done a runner!
    https://www.findmypub.com/properties/view/24951

Local knowledge tells me she was advised just before she left that the cellar cooling system was about to pack up

Do you know of any sites that have diagrams of cellars, that show a diagram of all the equipment used in them?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flatcap View Post
    I am going to have a look at a pub in Wigan tommorrow. not a lot going for it and a lot of the stuff was robbed (sold on) by the last land lady who done a runner!
    https://www.findmypub.com/properties/view/24951
    You've got to ask why did the previous licensee do a runner? Rent too high? Business too slow?

There are two more pubs very close by (Douglas Bank opposite and Prince of Wales on next corner), and the Springfield, Bird i'th'Hand and Brickmakers are not far away and very popular. You would probably get busy when football and rugby league restart, but that's only about 40 days a year tops. Quite a tough one for your first pub, I'd say.
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 24-05-2020 at 22:06. Reason: corrected pub name to Brickmakers
    Come On You Hatters!

Spritzer Swallower

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    You've got to ask why did the previous licensee do a runner?

Quite a tough one for your first pub, I'd say.
    She was a con woman by the sound of things; sold all the fixtures and fittings off that did not belong to hear. Basiclly the pubs falling apart (I think the foundations are leaning to one side) and the land lord will not spend a penny on repairs and leaves it to the tenants

So you think its a tough one because there are to many pubs in such a small area?
    Last edited by flatcap; 22-05-2020 at 13:56.

It used to be quite a well-to-do part of town, because coal mining was very big in this area, which is why some of the pubs are quite big and why there are so many of them, but since the coal mining industry went into decline there's not so much money in people's pockets. So if they want a drink and can get it a lot cheaper at a supermarket, they stop going into the pubs. There are three pubs within spitting distance, and the one you're interested in has had no money put into it by the landlord but plenty of gear taken out by the departing licensee. So you'd have to put quite a lot of money into it before you can even open the door to the punters. And then you have to compete with the other two pubs: why would their customers come to you rather than the two pubs they're already drinking in? Like I said before, for your first go at running a pub, it's a tough one.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    ... has had no money put into it by the landlord ...
    Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    I'm not sure who the landlord is, but I've come across several examples of landlords who have expected tenants to spend thousands of their own pounds on the fabric of the building to bring it up to standard or make it safe, then when they go bust because they can't recoup the outlay, move the lease on to another tenat who is treated the same way. You will need either very deep pockets or an exceptional business model to make it work.

If you go for it I wish you the very best of luck and hope to visit and review one day!
    Hi Flatcap,

The above was posted by one of our members in another sub-forum. The place where you've been posting (That Doesn't Go There! sub-forum) is only meant to be for correcting stuff on the main site, and so only admin staff (like me and Old Boots) and the original poster (that's you) can post on the thread. If you want to continue, please click on this link, which will take you to another place where more people can join in and give you the benefit of their knowledge about running a pub.
    Come On You Hatters!