Visit The Seeing The Lizards site

So, along with my other things resurrected during lockdown madness, The Session (Beer Blogging Friday) is back. I didn't participate too often in it back in the day, but as with a lot of people now, I have the time. So thanks to Alistair at fuggled.net for this topic - "Basically, tell us where you are at." And I know it's Saturday now here in the UK, but I only finished work at midnight. It's still Friday somewhere, surely?

Me? I'm probably coping a lot better than some. It isn't the lockdown that gets me down. No, being autistic means I have very good self-reliance and have the ability to find entertainment for myself. YouTube videos, looking up stuff I'm interested in, browsing eBay etc. etc. A lot of people would find this dull and lacking in social stimuli, but I'm ok with it.

Fun times

Work is a different matter. Not only am I a "key worker", I'm one of those "key workers" who has to go out and deal with the public every day. Some of whom may be carrying COVID-19 and not especially diligent about social distancing while out shopping. To be honest, it's a relief to get home and shut the door and not have to worry about someone leaning over me and coughing. Though on the plus side, I've never seen so many happy faces when I push a trolley-load of flour towards the Home Baking section.

Thankfully, as I work in a shop, I can make sure I get the stuff I want. Mainly Oakham Green Devil, Grant's whisky, and McVities digestives. As I've said many times over the last six weeks, you have to cling onto your small pleasures now, as it's pretty much all you have left. I have a routine now. Get up, go to work at 3pm, finish at midnight, crack open a few Green Devils while making today's version of Mexican food with whatever ingredients I've found, have large whisky and go to bed. Repeat for the last month.

"How do you cope?" With this. LIKE OBVS.
Am I missing pubs? Yes, the chance to go out the pubs of Preston on Sunday and Monday was one of the things that got me through the weekful of retail nonsense that supermarkets are these days. I miss sitting outside Plug & Taps waiting for it to open at 1pm, then spending 3 hours drinking and talking complete bollocks for the 3 hours, before moving onto the Black Horse and consuming unwisely strong beer, then going to Vinyl Tap and making them put Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass's Going Places on the turntable, before finally having my final pint at the Moorbrook which I may even vaguely remember. Yeah, I miss that.

How do you fill the time freed up by not doing very much? Well, stuff that previously seemed silly eventually starts sounding like a good idea. Hey, it's a sunny Sunday! Why not do a video of me sitting in my back garden drinking Buckfast while "The Mexican Shuffle" plays from an 80s cassette boombox? Yeah, why not? I'd never have done that had I been out at the pub that day, or watching the IndyCar race from Circuit Of The Americas at Wings & Beer Co. This lockdown is going to carry on for a good few weeks, so who knows what kind of bizarre, dubious nonsense my brain will start conjuring up? Stay tuned.

I'll be fine. I've not drunk myself to death, died of boredom, or caught the Corona (despite the best efforts of some of my customers and colleagues). I can deal with waiting. The only frustration is the uncertainty...

More...