Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pubs near train stations

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Name should now appear.
    This is so pernickerty, and obviously you have better things to do (like throwing me off the site, if not out of the window) but the pub name on the balloon is coming up as "White Lion, The", when The White Lion would be so much nicer.

(Or just White Lion, if it's too tricky.)
    Come On You Hatters!

Well spotted. Name should now appear.

On a side note, with the map I've made it so that if you zoom in it will filter the pub list to only those shown on the map.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This is a really useful feature. There was a discussion years ago about the use of the "near a station" symbol in the GBG but this gets round that by listing the pubs by distance with the distance clearly displayed. I'd certainly like to see it continued.

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Noticed some of the pubs have green thumbs up or red thumbs down next to them, what is this supposed to imply? Good pub/bad pub?

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    Noticed some of the pubs have green thumbs up or red thumbs down next to them, what is this supposed to imply? Good pub/bad pub?
    And I have both a solid red thumbs down, and an outline one?

Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    Seems mainly based on pub scores with solid Green around 9, solid Red around 4 or less and the "hollow" green and red in between but with some inconsistencies.
    I guess this is a work in progress because I have seen a "6" with a hollow green and a "5.5" with a hollow red.

It IS a work in progress because pubs like The Fat Boar had a hollow Red because of a low score as previous version "Black Horse" but has now been removed. Several have changed whilst I have been viewing, so sorry Dave, I'll come back later!
    Last edited by AlanH; 04-05-2020 at 11:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    And I have both a solid red thumbs down, and an outline one?
    If it's any help I would give a Marston outlet a deep crimson Thumbs Down and a Batham outlet a fluorescent flashing Lime Green Thumbs up!
    I suspect the symbol is constructed from average recent scores.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    The Fat Boar had a hollow Red because of a low score as previous version "Black Horse" but has now been removed.
    Yes I was being far too harsh in assigning the red thumbs down - may have to remove those altogether as we just don't have enough data.

The thumbs are based on my weighted averages that were discussed recently in another thread. So for example The Drawbridge gets a thumbs down despite having a raw average of 6, that average is boosted by two one off 10/10 reviews but they are largely ignored by my weighting.

There are all sorts of issues around things like old ratings from previous incarnations that I don't have simple solutions to, but I think the green thumbs up might be helpful for a quick guide as to which pubs to look into first. I was thinking of the post yesterday from NickDavies regarding Coventry and wondering how far you need to go for a vaguely decent pub, the answer appears to be a 12 minute walk to The Old Windmill https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs-ne...ions/coventry/

There are all sorts of issues around things like old ratings from previous incarnations that I don't have simple solutions to.
    A simple solution would be to ignore all ratings attached to reviews under a different name, but one drawback would be where the name has merely been corrected.

Also, sometimes a change of name doesn't indicate a change of management; and vice versa, of course.

And do we really want to be giving a big red thumbs down to some pubs? Some pub owners might want to complain about that, especially if the review was very old and based on a visit under previous ownership.

These are problems that all stem from taking ratings too seriously, I would suggest.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    A simple solution would be to ignore all ratings attached to reviews under a different name, but one drawback would be where the name has merely been corrected.
    Data is stored in such a way that it is actually quite awkward to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    And do we really want to be giving a big red thumbs down to some pubs?
    Yeah I think it is probably a bad idea however I try to do it, just got carried away at 1am this morning. Going to keep the green thumbs as I think they are useful for giving a hint but red ones are gone.