Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lost Beers

One beer I do quite miss, although I think it may be sporadically produced still,is Fullers London Porter.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I'll stay on me own

Blackthorn, obviously. Although, like many other comments on here, the proper stuff when it was originally made by Taunton Cider, not when they were taken over by Gaymers/Showerings/Matthew Clark/Constellation/C&C and whoever else got their grubby mits on it and made it successively worse each time.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    One beer I do quite miss, although I think it may be sporadically produced still,is Fullers London Porter.
    Still around on keg. Only a few pubs get it on cask. Your favourite the Harp is one that occasionaly gets it.Doesnt sell fast enough for it to be casked according to Fullers.

I don't go into Fuller's pubs any more but their Chiswick Bitter was always vastly superior to LP. They also used to do a mild called Hock that was good and ran rings around the pathetic Young's Malt Ale.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    Blackthorn, obviously. Although, like many other comments on here, the proper stuff when it was originally made by Taunton Cider, not when they were taken over by Gaymers/Showerings/Matthew Clark/Constellation/C&C and whoever else got their grubby mits on it and made it successively worse each time.
    I remember finding non-keg Blackthorn. Gaymers was a keg abomination that was hopelessly sweet

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I don't go into Fuller's pubs any more but their Chiswick Bitter was always vastly superior to LP. They also used to do a mild called Hock that was good and ran rings around the pathetic Young's Malt Ale.
    Agree with the Chiswick, don't remember the Hock.
    -W.C.Fields

Liddingtons - brewed in Rugby from 1983 to 1986. Just one beer as I remember but it was the one which converted me from lager.

Bass - loved it in the mid-80’s and to me the Marston’s version isn’t bad. I’m sure there’s no real debate on that .

Pedigree - was a glorious beer and an absolute staple of my younger years. The first half went down relatively slowly as the taste buds adjusted to the complexity of flavour after which it was impossible to stop drinking. The modern version shares the pace of the first half and that’s usually as far as it goes. It’s unbelievable that Marstons are allowed to call it the same name as it’s a totally different, and vastly inferior, beer.

Courage Directors - again a staple of further educational years and tried one a few years ago which was brewed at Wells. Undrinkable.

Flowers Original - superb session ale which was well sampled as a regular at my local. Found it on at the Old Harker’s Arms in Chester a while ago, long after the Flowers brewery was sold, and it whistled through the 3 pint test but I haven’t seen it since.
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post

Flowers Original - superb session ale which was well sampled as a regular at my local. Found it on at the Old Harker’s Arms in Chester a while ago, long after the Flowers brewery was sold, and it whistled through the 3 pint test but I haven’t seen it since.
    I always found it quite disgusting (in Whitbread's time, advertised by the real ale twats), it induced a headache while I was drinking it. Generally some versions of Trophy and Brickwood's Best* were much nicer to me.

*pre- Pompey Royal days only.

Agree with the Chiswick, don't remember the Hock.
    I thought Chiswick tasted of fried onions, Hock on the other hand was splendid.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I always found it quite disgusting (in Whitbread's time, advertised by the real ale twats), it induced a headache while I was drinking it. Generally some versions of Trophy and Brickwood's Best* were much nicer to me.

*pre- Pompey Royal days only.

I thought Chiswick tasted of fried onions, Hock on the other hand was splendid.
    Fried Onions? Bloody hell.
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    A few of the regulars used to get the immediate headache reaction so stuck to the only alternative - Everards Old Original. I like OO but it would have given me headache if drunk in the quantities I used to down of Flowers.

Never got on with Flowers Best but the locals Original was superb.
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter