Ads not shown when logged in
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Where's my tolerance going?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Roving RAT ROBCamra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    5,125

    Default Where's my tolerance going?

    In general I drink pints.

    When we're on a PuG crawl I will have a pint in almost every pub we visit.

    If I'm on a pub crawl of my own I'll usually have a pint in any pub selling cask ale and halves in pubs that don't.

    I have a high tolerance of alcohol in general, or at least I did.

    Last night I had 2 x 500ml bottles of St Austell Proper Job at 5.5%.

    Followed by kiddie cans of Vocation Heart & Soul + Life & Death. Brewdog Clockwork Tangerine + Hazy Jane. One of each, so 4 cans in all.

    I also had 2 very small glasses of red wine circa 125ml each and a half of a Meat Feast pizza.

    I went to bed fairly merry after about 4.5 pints and two small wines.

    What's happening to my tolerance??????????

    When the pubs reopen I'll be back home after a couple of hours pissed as a rat!

    Anyone else noticing this evil phenomena?

    Mind you it could save me a fortune.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

  2. #2
    Still about Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Junction 5, M3 , well fairly close.
    Posts
    4,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    In general I drink pints.

    When we're on a PuG crawl I will have a pint in almost every pub we visit.

    If I'm on a pub crawl of my own I'll usually have a pint in any pub selling cask ale and halves in pubs that don't.

    I have a high tolerance of alcohol in general, or at least I did.

    Last night I had 2 x 500ml bottles of St Austell Proper Job at 5.5%.

    Followed by kiddie cans of Vocation Heart & Soul + Life & Death. Brewdog Clockwork Tangerine + Hazy Jane. One of each, so 4 cans in all.

    I also had 2 very small glasses of red wine circa 125ml each and a half of a Meat Feast pizza.

    I went to bed fairly merry after about 4.5 pints and two small wines.

    What's happening to my tolerance??????????

    When the pubs reopen I'll be back home after a couple of hours pissed as a rat!

    Anyone else noticing this evil phenomena?

    Mind you it could save me a fortune.
    Keeping an even keel so far,In normal circumstances I don't often drink at home, now that I am, the volume is less than if the pubs were open but the abv average is way up.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  3. #3
    I Keep Mine Hidden Delboy20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Black Country
    Posts
    1,071

    Default

    I seem to be losing my tolerance of other people!
    Being in lockdown has made me realise that I don't really like many of my neighbours. I am sick of hearing other peoples music as soon as the sun comes out and I am sick of people having garden fires "because there isn't a green bin collection"


    I am a salmon !!

  4. #4
    This Space For Hire Wittenden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Weald of Kent
    Posts
    1,649

    Default

    I don't usually drink during the week, unless I'm out,or if people come indoors (unlikely!). I've been buying tins from local micros,which tend to be stronger than the 3.8 abvs that I usually drink in the pub. In short, I'm usually fairly fuggled by the time Gardeners World comes on of a Friday night.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

  5. #5
    Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.
    Posts
    937

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    I seem to be losing my tolerance of other people!
    Being in lockdown has made me realise that I don't really like many of my neighbours. I am sick of hearing other peoples music as soon as the sun comes out and I am sick of people having garden fires "because there isn't a green bin collection"
    Certainly agree with this, especially that thing where it is seemingly ok to blast out (always sh1t) music with windows wide open just because the sun is shining. The same weather also seems to encourage certain of my neighbours to have full on domestic arguments for all to hear.
    Ok, maybe just for one......................

  6. #6
    This Space For Hire Rex_Rattus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    New Malden
    Posts
    1,291

    Default

    I've read about people complaining that they're drinking more during the lockdown. Well, that's their own fault. If they'd established a proper drinking baseline before the lockdown then they wouldn't now have to drink more to cope.

    Yes, I too have neighbours who have their windows open and blast out what they presumably regard as music whenever the weather's OK. But you can't recognise the tune as you just get the base thump. But to be honest they were just as bad before the lockdown as at present.

  7. #7
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    1,276

    Default

    Tolerance - of alcohol - should be on the up according to The Guardian.

  8. #8
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    I seem to be losing my tolerance of other people!
    Being in lockdown has made me realise that I don't really like many of my neighbours. I am sick of hearing other peoples music as soon as the sun comes out and I am sick of people having garden fires "because there isn't a green bin collection"
    Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    Certainly agree with this, especially that thing where it is seemingly ok to blast out (always sh1t) music with windows wide open just because the sun is shining. The same weather also seems to encourage certain of my neighbours to have full on domestic arguments for all to hear.
    This is why we have pubs, so that we can get away from all this crap.
    Come On You Hatters!

  9. #9
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    ... the volume is less than if the pubs were open but the abv average is way up.
    Last year my average abv for beers in pubs was 4.4% and for beers drunk at home 6.4%. This year I had decided to cut out drinking at home (good timing, eh), so was maybe drinking a few more strong beers than normal when out and about, bringing my pub average up to 4.6%. Beers that I've drunk at home since pubs closed on 20 March have averaged 5.2% abv.
    Come On You Hatters!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •