Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Iconic pubs...

I think the "Real Ale scene" in the north is confined to a few pubs in Belfast and the JDW in Derry, the Crown and the John Hewitt are both excellent, the other GBG pubs are a bit variable from my limited experience and there's not much else for ale. Ulster is a nice place to visit anyway, drink whatever there is and enjoy the people and the scenery. Never been south but I believe it's mainly Harp or Guinness with the odd beacon in Dublin.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I think the "Real Ale scene" in the north is confined to a few pubs in Belfast and the JDW in Derry, the Crown and the John Hewitt are both excellent, the other GBG pubs are a bit variable from my limited experience and there's not much else for ale. Ulster is a nice place to visit anyway, drink whatever there is and enjoy the people and the scenery. Never been south but I believe it's mainly Harp or Guinness with the odd beacon in Dublin.
    There's fine brewhouse in Cork called The Franciscan Well. We spent quite a bit of time there a couple of years ago.

http://www.franciscanwellbrewery.com/

Plus there's Messrs McGuires and The Porterhouse in Dublin which brew their own stuff.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Landmark pubs: The Three Chimneys, Biddenden, Kent-where 3 roads met, with one of those iconic 1950's Whitbread signs standing in a field on the main road.Now a shadow of its self, though ostensibly a traditional pub with a real public bar, and beer served from the casks at the back. i don't go in there any more, for reasons that defy explanation, but mainly due to an excess of nostalgia.
    The Castleton's Oak, also in Biddenden.Another cross roads pub, now long closed, but retaining its Whitbread sign of the ancient worthy sitting on his coffin, which served as his bar counter. In its day, a fine pub, where I had my first pints of Summer Lightning.
    Driving into Maidstone, something I don't often do now: The Wheatsheaf, The Thomas Wyatt and the Chiltern Hundreds at Penenden Heath. My grandparents would stable theirhorse and cart at the Wheatsheaf, and proceed to the centre of town by I think, trolley bus. The Chiltern Hundreds served as a post meeting resort when I went to county meetings of the Young Farmers. I can't think why, as the beer then (in the 70's) was grotty. I suppose it was handy for the A20.
    All these pubs were or are, landmarks, names of areas and links in their local life.

I wanted to do Northern Ireland during the World Cup as I have never been there but at the time we were looking to book up, the ash cloud was scuppering everything in sight so we did Scotland instead as it didn't involve flying. A trip to N Ireland is still very much in my mind still although it doesn't sound that great beer wise.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Now, any remember the Peggy Bedford? On the Bath Road at Colnbrook, near the newly spawned Heathrow aerodrome? A landmark pub if ever there was one, stood on a Y junction, one leg off to Bath, the other was local to Colnbrook

Now sadly demolished & replaced by a burger chain in 1995

PS, Oh Conrad, how could you? Just found out it is not on PG, do please Google it and add it as a testament of times past

here's a clue http://www.thisislongford.com/peggy.htm
    Last edited by Farway; 25-07-2010 at 14:28. Reason: PS

Not been here for years, but this certainly deserved the accolade "iconic" when we used to live in that part of the woods:

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/7875/

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Not been here for years, but this certainly deserved the accolade "iconic" when we used to live in that part of the woods:

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/7875/
    Ok, I'll copy my review over. We redirected to The Bridge as Tom Cobley was closed on the weekend in question.

The Old Bull And Bush

An iconic pub but very much a poor pub,poor beer,poor interior, poor experience,visited about three years ago ,don't intend to return.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields