Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Iconic pubs...

Glass Half Full

Jamacia Inn is the one that stands out for me as an iconic pub, and also the New Cross inn for some reason.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I've never been inside, but I am always quite impressed that the Craven Arms in South Shropshire not only has its town named after it but also a railway station (as does the famous Berney Arms in Norfolk).
    As does the Queens Head (though no station ) near Oswestry in North Shropshire , The Craven Arms has been refurbed in the last few years so dont know what its like these days , it used to be a pretty characterless place , the local nickname for the town is Dodge City ..... it can get a bit rowdy at weekends
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Talking about Air Balloons the one at Birdlip is incredibly famous and a well known landmark.
    Fantastic location, but unhappily, not much of a pub. The one further down the road is a somewhat better, even if I can't remember it's name.
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by runningdog View Post
    Fantastic location, but unhappily, not much of a pub. The one further down the road is a somewhat better, even if I can't remember it's name.
    Odd, nor can I, something to do with aircraft I seem to recall, but could be very wrong as it has been a good few years since I was that way

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ptg View Post
    Jamacia Inn is the one that stands out for me as an iconic pub, .
    The Jaimaca Inn, there was a thread on here about famous pubs wihtout reviews, and I mentioned the JI, within a couple of months it has two reviews and 14 pictures. Agree iconic, to my mind it is a must visit if passing by, and for once in an iconic pub, the beer is OK, cask marqued

The Castle at Edgehill is pretty iconic. It's in a folly perched on the ridge overlooking the battlefield. I note there is no photo on PG but I do have some at home somewhere that I can probably add. In the meantime... http://www.hooky-pubs.co.uk/pubs/loc...ps/castle.html

The last time I drove past The Heathgates, Salop, it was boarded up. It was a while ago so I hope the place has re opened. Many of the famous pubs situated on A roads are now bypassed by Motorways. My early holidays to Devon were guided by such pubs.I suppose their equivalents today are Beefeaters and Travel Inn. So much for the romance of travel.
    In such a vein I mention The George Borrow Hotel,Pont Erwyd on the A44 in mid Wales.For teatotallers a little further along the road is the famed Kites Nest Cafe.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

In Belfast it would have to be the wonderfully decorative Crown Liquor Saloon. Also Bittles Bar is quite striking being housed at the sharp end of an impressive flat iron building.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    In Belfast it would have to be the wonderfully decorative Crown Liquor Saloon. Also Bittles Bar is quite striking being housed at the sharp end of an impressive flat iron building.
    I have been in the Crown in Belfast. A wonderful pub. There are loads of amazing pubs in Belfast which all have their own character. There was one whose interior decoration was based on Soviet Russia. Can't remember its name. The beers in Ireland passed me by, unfortunately. I have been to Ireland twice - Dublin and Belfast - but only drank the Guinness. Which was very short sighted and unadventurous of me. I need to go again!

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by General Staal View Post
    I have been in the Crown in Belfast. A wonderful pub. There are loads of amazing pubs in Belfast which all have their own character. There was one whose interior decoration was based on Soviet Russia. Can't remember its name.
    That would be The Northern Whig I think. An unremarkable exterior but, as you say, the interior has a Soviet theme with a few massive statues of their glorious leaders dotted around. I remember it was a bit of a foodie place but big enough so that there was enough traditional bar space for those just wanting to drink. Seemed to be one of the up and coming places to be seen in Belfast when I visited a couple of years ago. It doesn’t seem to be on PuG but as I have a couple of photos I’ll add it.

Just added it, here's the link http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/70355/

Quote Originally Posted by General Staal View Post
    The beers in Ireland passed me by, unfortunately. I have been to Ireland twice - Dublin and Belfast - but only drank the Guinness. Which was very short sighted and unadventurous of me. I need to go again!
    To be honest the beer in Belfast wasn’t that good and there wasn’t much selection so I tended to stick with the Guinness. I remember finding real ale in The John Hewitt, The Crown and the Kitchen Bar. There is a JDW that had a few ales on but the quality wasn’t good.

I was planning a trip in October but seeing what’s happened during this marching season I’m having second thoughts. I know it should have settled down by then but I’m expecting about 6-8 mates to join me and knowing them I can foresee a Gazza-type flute playing incident occurring at some stage. I’ll probably head somewhere else this time but still want to do Belfast again soon as fellow PuG member Grailhunter is also keen.
    Last edited by Millay; 24-07-2010 at 18:11. Reason: Added link to The Northern Whig
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.