Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Adam Bell been to all of the JDWs??

Default Has Adam Bell been to all of the JDWs??

I've been taking a keen interest in the additions to the site by this newcomer. I believe it's been all photos so far and my biggest benchmark was toppled today with the addition of a pic of their Wick outlet in Scotland. My other two are the outlets in Pwllheli and Haverhill in Suffolk. What these places have in common apart from the JDW and being very awkward to get to is that there is really no other reason to go there!
    I hope he starts adding reviews if and when things get back to normal.
    To answer my own question I now think he must have been to all of them. Wick is a horrendous place to get to!!

I'll stay on me own

It doesn’t exactly answer your question, but I believe this is Fat Beer Badger from BITE. He does/did work on the railways, so many of his pub outings were related to how accessible places were by train. Whether that’s when he was between shifts or he just got cheap travel, I’m not sure. Perhaps that’s how he ended up at the one in Wick, only a five minute walk from the train station apparently!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    It doesn’t exactly answer your question, but I believe this is Fat Beer Badger from BITE. He does/did work on the railways, so many of his pub outings were related to how accessible places were by train. Whether that’s when he was between shifts or he just got cheap travel, I’m not sure. Perhaps that’s how he ended up at the one in Wick, only a five minute walk from the train station apparently!
    Thanks for that, the Pwllheli one is opposite the station but Haverhill is only accessible by bus. I got one from Cambridge!

This Space For Hire

If he worked for the railways for long enough/retired he'll have a staff pass to use for a certain amount of journeys for free each year and ability to purchase reduced priced tickets for all rail operators like my Dad and Mum have after he spent all his working life on the railways. I used to have same pass till I left education and as a child I could go anywhere in the Country for a £1 if I didn't use a box and in 1st class as well. Think it was 28 trips a year but if you then used the train the next day it counted as the box you put the date in the day before. I just used to bugger off all around the country in school holidays from about 13/14 just for something to do because I could.

As with Blackthorn's answer doesn't answer yours but possibly explains how he can crack on with JDW's all over and if has a free bus pass get to the less accessible ones.
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 26-04-2020 at 22:21.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    As with Blackthorn's answer doesn't answer yours but possibly explains how he can crack on with JDW's all over and if has a free bus pass get to the less accessible ones.
    But that bus pass is not valid in Wales or Scotland (assuming you're England based).

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    But that bus pass is not valid in Wales or Scotland (assuming you're England based).
    Perhaps he just pays for his bus tickets?

This Space For Hire

Is it not? Seems everything else is free in those countries that we don't get.... Not that I get one so not an expert on limitations of use. But yes as rpadam states pay for bus is a hell of a lot cheaper than train to get close.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Perhaps he just pays for his bus tickets?
    like I have to outside of England!
    I did get a reduced price somewhere in Mid Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Is it not? Seems everything else is free in those countries that we don't get.... Not that I get one so not an expert on limitations of use. But yes as rpadam states pay for bus is a hell of a lot cheaper than train to get close.
    It's one of the quirks of devolution. People with Welsh, Scottish or NI Freedom Passes can't use them in England.
    The buses on the Cambrian Coast are not cheaper than the train even without a Senile rail card. They are quicker though!

I've been taking a keen interest in the additions to the site by this newcomer.
    First photo on the site is dated Saturday, 3rd July 2010: https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/56593/. I agree he appears to have contributed a shed load of photos in recent days - perhaps he has a lot of time on his hands?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    It doesn’t exactly answer your question, but I believe this is Fat Beer Badger from BITE.
    If you click on his name below any of his photos, the link takes you to his User Information page. Look at the URL - it says that his name on the Forum is as you say.
    Come On You Hatters!