Visit The Good Beer Hunting site

These are the words, images, and beers that inspired the GBH Collective this week. Drinking alone just got better, because now you're drinking with all of us.
SAMER KHUDAIRI READ.// “Questioning everything that you held dear and wondering how you could have been so wrong about what everybody else in this country was holding dear? ... Are you reading this book because you feel like this may just be the just-pre-post-apocalypse? Like maybe we are currently living through the sequel of the fall of the Roman Empire? (Makes sense. We love sequels.)” I’ll admit I didn’t read The Awkward Thoughts of W. Kamau Bell: Tales of a 6' 4", African American, Heterosexual, Cisgender, Left-Leaning, Asthmatic, Black and Proud Blerd, Mama's Boy, Dad, and Stand-Up Comedian. I listened to the audiobook version,narrated by Bell, since libraries are closed—which is something he might have predicted in his post-apocalyptic vision. But this book is ultimately about cultural observation: television, superheroes, family, comedic writing, business, podcasts, politics, racism, and sexism are just a few topics and chapters.
LOOK.// A friend was complaining about back alignment issues, and I suggested they use the foam roller that they own. Not just to roll out, but as a balance board. They asked if that was possible, and my response was that you can even make a balance board out of a two-liter soda bottle. This is a trick I learned from a coach I used to train with—who has now turned his odd regimens into a YouTube channel. Want to learn how to make a balance board? Do a handstand? Or make a balloon animal? Coach Dan’s instructional videos have a relaxing familiarity and welcome encouragement, and are appropriate for all ages.
DRINK.// Halfway Crooks Beer’s Farina
Sometimes when I look at myself in the mirror with a bandana or scarf over my mask, I feel like a bandit or a bootlegger. A halfway crook. I have been extremely fortunate to be receiving beer that I wouldn’t normally have access to, and in return have also sent off beer to others across the country. This was one of the last two beers I was saving after getting a package from Shawn of Halfway Crooks. Farina is a Kölsch-style beer, or as they call it, a “Top Fermenting Lager.” Whether you call it an Ale or a Lager, all I know is that I wish I had more. I can’t wait to visit their taproom someday.
KATE BERNOTREAD.// “The virus is invisible, and I think that’s why it’s transformed into so many different things.” Are your dreams extra-weird during the coronavirus pandemic? You're not alone.
LOOK.// Photographers around the world are participating in a decentralized initiative—alternately called the Front Porch Project or Front Steps Project—to photograph people (from a distance) on their steps during this crisis. In my town, photographer Ashley Rhian is accepting donations for portraits and giving proceeds to the local homeless shelter.
DRINK.// Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales’ Hyrrokkin Fruited Oak-Aged Saison
Jolly Pumpkin's Hyrrokkin Fruited Oak-Aged Saison with blood orange and ginger was a dynamite pairing with the spicy stir-fried noodles I cooked last week—and how great does it look in a can?
EVAN RAIL READ.// “And hast thou slain the Jabberwock? / Come to my arms, my beamish boy!” As part of our quarantine “cultural studies” program, I’m reading poetry with my kids. We started with Lewis Carroll’s “Jabberwocky,” because it’s super fun to read out loud, and it doesn’t matter if you mispronounce or misunderstand anything. What’s a borogove? How do you gimble? We’ve moved on to Robert Frost and other more serious poets since then, but nonsense verse is highly recommended for kids. And for parents, too.
LOOK.// One of my luckiest days was bumping into a big David Hockney exhibit while traveling through Yorkshire a few years ago. Earlier this month, the BBC posted an exclusive online gallery of some of his recent paintings—joyful, colorful art that heralds the coming of spring. A real mood-lifter.
DRINK.// Burning Sky’s Saison Anniversaire 2019
Hard to believe that it was just last month when I was sharing this incredible Saison with a friend in Edinburgh. Our borders are now closed and not expected to reopen for another year. The memory of this elegant, crisp wonder will have to suffice for quite a while.
Curated by
The GBH Collective

More...