Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: should have went to specsaver

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    This is what I might call a tulip glass?
    Attachment 2103
    I do like pints of Fullers ESB in their branded tulips as long as the ale is well kept.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Komakino View Post
    Until February, I'd been doing occasional bar work in my local, having pulled pints in pubs in my village on and off for around 20-odd years. I'd like to say I'm not fussy, but I'd always like to serve the correct beer in the correct glass as well as serving in the customer's preferred vessel - so for ale drinkers that I hadn't served before, that included the 'straight or handle' question beforehand. Nothing worse than having to serve ale or indeed lager in a Guinness glass if it was a busy night.

When I'm on the other side of the bar, it's always nice to be offered a handle, but not massively fussed.

In addition, once met up with an ex-girlfriend in a pub outside Aylesbury that was on its last legs. She asked for a Cinzano and lemonade (or somesuch) which the barmaid poured into a half-pint glass. I asked if we could have a highball glass instead and was handed a large wine glass. That pub closed not long after, but recently re-opened after several years in the wilderness.
    Cause I try a lot of pubs looking for new beer I find quite a few are giving you a choice which is nice although at 66 and looking it they often ask me if I want a jug.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I do like pints of Fullers ESB in their branded tulips as long as the ale is well kept.
    A particuliar beer in its own glass is a joy.Even if its not your fav beer.I would and have refused beer in guinness, john smiths etc glasses.Sign of a shit pub imo

Quote Originally Posted by Komakino View Post
    Until February, I'd been doing occasional bar work in my local, having pulled pints in pubs in my village on and off for around 20-odd years. I'd like to say I'm not fussy, but I'd always like to serve the correct beer in the correct glass as well as serving in the customer's preferred vessel - so for ale drinkers that I hadn't served before, that included the 'straight or handle' question beforehand. Nothing worse than having to serve ale or indeed lager in a Guinness glass if it was a busy night.

When I'm on the other side of the bar, it's always nice to be offered a handle, but not massively fussed.

In addition, once met up with an ex-girlfriend in a pub outside Aylesbury that was on its last legs. She asked for a Cinzano and lemonade (or somesuch) which the barmaid poured into a half-pint glass. I asked if we could have a highball glass instead and was handed a large wine glass. That pub closed not long after, but recently re-opened after several years in the wilderness.
    You sound like a very good barman

I don't like being served an ale I've carefully chosen in a Doom Bar or Bombardier branded glass.Image is important ,and I don't want folk to get the wrong idea

This Space For Hire

Attachment 2103
    Wrong

Attachment 2103
    no that is a stemed glass, it is used by ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I am fussy about the glass I drink from.In pubs I refuse to drink out of a pint nonic glass.Any other style is fine but not nonic.I have walked out of pubs even after they have poured my drink if they wont change it.When drinking at home I often use 3 or 4 different glass depending on the style of beer. I will only drink out of 3 cups indoors for tea or coffee so its probably a phobia.Are you fussy?
    Yes I am fussy, my preferred glass is a conical, ie vaguely triangular with straight sloping sides, next comes the Nonic, with a bulge about 2/3 of the way down, both are sometimes called "thin glasses" as in Get Carter also thin is the tulip which I dislike but tolerate. A thick glass is the old fashioned handle or dimpled mug beloved of trendy places, utter dross that I though had been consigned to the dustbin of history but got resurrected for some unknown reason.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    dimpled mug beloved of trendy places, utter dross that I though had been consigned to the dustbin of history but got resurrected for some unknown reason.

Maybe they really enjoyed Trainspotting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUZyNLZZjMs

Attachment 2103
    Wrong
    no that is a stemed glass, it is used by ladies.
    If I may quote John here:

Wrong
    It is also used by other people who are not ladies. I like the stemmed glasses at beer festivals, with the half-pint and third-pint lines clearly marked. Because they're oversized, you can carefully pour a 330ml bottle or can into one of these.

Next you'll be telling me that anyone who doesn't drink exclusively from a pint glass is also a lady?
    Come On You Hatters!

Yes I am fussy, my preferred glass is a conical, ie vaguely triangular with straight sloping sides.
    Yes, it's a section of a cone. If it was truly conical you would have trouble getting it to stand up. That's probably my favourite glass too.
    Come On You Hatters!

Wrong
    In what respect?