Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 48

Thread: should have went to specsaver

  1. #11
    Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Grand Union
    Posts
    2,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    This is what I might call a tulip glass?
    Attachment 2103
    I do like pints of Fullers ESB in their branded tulips as long as the ale is well kept.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

  2. #12
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    2,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Komakino View Post
    Until February, I'd been doing occasional bar work in my local, having pulled pints in pubs in my village on and off for around 20-odd years. I'd like to say I'm not fussy, but I'd always like to serve the correct beer in the correct glass as well as serving in the customer's preferred vessel - so for ale drinkers that I hadn't served before, that included the 'straight or handle' question beforehand. Nothing worse than having to serve ale or indeed lager in a Guinness glass if it was a busy night.

    When I'm on the other side of the bar, it's always nice to be offered a handle, but not massively fussed.

    In addition, once met up with an ex-girlfriend in a pub outside Aylesbury that was on its last legs. She asked for a Cinzano and lemonade (or somesuch) which the barmaid poured into a half-pint glass. I asked if we could have a highball glass instead and was handed a large wine glass. That pub closed not long after, but recently re-opened after several years in the wilderness.
    Cause I try a lot of pubs looking for new beer I find quite a few are giving you a choice which is nice although at 66 and looking it they often ask me if I want a jug.

  3. #13
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    2,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I do like pints of Fullers ESB in their branded tulips as long as the ale is well kept.
    A particuliar beer in its own glass is a joy.Even if its not your fav beer.I would and have refused beer in guinness, john smiths etc glasses.Sign of a shit pub imo

  4. #14
    Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Grand Union
    Posts
    2,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Komakino View Post
    Until February, I'd been doing occasional bar work in my local, having pulled pints in pubs in my village on and off for around 20-odd years. I'd like to say I'm not fussy, but I'd always like to serve the correct beer in the correct glass as well as serving in the customer's preferred vessel - so for ale drinkers that I hadn't served before, that included the 'straight or handle' question beforehand. Nothing worse than having to serve ale or indeed lager in a Guinness glass if it was a busy night.

    When I'm on the other side of the bar, it's always nice to be offered a handle, but not massively fussed.

    In addition, once met up with an ex-girlfriend in a pub outside Aylesbury that was on its last legs. She asked for a Cinzano and lemonade (or somesuch) which the barmaid poured into a half-pint glass. I asked if we could have a highball glass instead and was handed a large wine glass. That pub closed not long after, but recently re-opened after several years in the wilderness.
    You sound like a very good barman

    I don't like being served an ale I've carefully chosen in a Doom Bar or Bombardier branded glass.Image is important ,and I don't want folk to get the wrong idea
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

  5. #15
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    2,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    This is what I might call a tulip glass?
    Attachment 2103
    Wrong

  6. #16
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    5,258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    This is what I might call a tulip glass?
    Attachment 2103
    no that is a stemed glass, it is used by ladies.


    Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I am fussy about the glass I drink from.In pubs I refuse to drink out of a pint nonic glass.Any other style is fine but not nonic.I have walked out of pubs even after they have poured my drink if they wont change it.When drinking at home I often use 3 or 4 different glass depending on the style of beer. I will only drink out of 3 cups indoors for tea or coffee so its probably a phobia.Are you fussy?
    Yes I am fussy, my preferred glass is a conical, ie vaguely triangular with straight sloping sides, next comes the Nonic, with a bulge about 2/3 of the way down, both are sometimes called "thin glasses" as in Get Carter also thin is the tulip which I dislike but tolerate. A thick glass is the old fashioned handle or dimpled mug beloved of trendy places, utter dross that I though had been consigned to the dustbin of history but got resurrected for some unknown reason.
    There are many diseases,
    that strike people's kneeses,
    Covid19! is one by name
    It comes from the East
    Packed in bladders of yeast
    So the Chinese must take half the blame.

    Apologies to Spike Milligan

  7. #17
    Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Grand Union
    Posts
    2,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    dimpled mug beloved of trendy places, utter dross that I though had been consigned to the dustbin of history but got resurrected for some unknown reason.

    Maybe they really enjoyed Trainspotting

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUZyNLZZjMs
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

  8. #18
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    This is what I might call a tulip glass?
    Attachment 2103
    Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    no that is a stemed glass, it is used by ladies.
    If I may quote John here:

    Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Wrong
    It is also used by other people who are not ladies. I like the stemmed glasses at beer festivals, with the half-pint and third-pint lines clearly marked. Because they're oversized, you can carefully pour a 330ml bottle or can into one of these.

    Next you'll be telling me that anyone who doesn't drink exclusively from a pint glass is also a lady?
    Come On You Hatters!

  9. #19
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Yes I am fussy, my preferred glass is a conical, ie vaguely triangular with straight sloping sides.
    Yes, it's a section of a cone. If it was truly conical you would have trouble getting it to stand up. That's probably my favourite glass too.
    Come On You Hatters!

  10. #20
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    3,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Wrong
    In what respect?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •