Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 48

Thread: should have went to specsaver

  1. #31
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    5,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    We used to call straights "sleevers" if we didn't call 'em straights.
    I thought Sleever was a west country term, especially in Bris'l
    There are many diseases,
    that strike people's kneeses,
    Covid19! is one by name
    It comes from the East
    Packed in bladders of yeast
    So the Chinese must take half the blame.

    Apologies to Spike Milligan

  2. #32
    This Space For Hire Wittenden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Weald of Kent
    Posts
    1,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I thought Sleever was a west country term, especially in Bris'l
    Might be, learnt the term from a chap from Exeter,or could have been Wincanton.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

  3. #33
    This is not an exit Komakino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    617

    Default

    A customer in one of the local pubs I used to work in preferred his beer in a nonic pint glass, and told me the reason for the name was that the bulge two-thirds the way up the glass prevented the rim of the glasses chipping when racked / stored together, hence nonic = "no nicks", although this could be conveniently apocryphal.
    "Breakneck speed we drown ten pints of bitter"

  4. #34
    Still about Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Junction 5, M3 , well fairly close.
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Komakino View Post
    A customer in one of the local pubs I used to work in preferred his beer in a nonic pint glass, and told me the reason for the name was that the bulge two-thirds the way up the glass prevented the rim of the glasses chipping when racked / stored together, hence nonic = "no nicks", although this could be conveniently apocryphal.
    I have heard the same explanation before.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  5. #35
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    1,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    This is what I might call a tulip glass?
    Attachment 2103
    Whatever they're called, I can't stand the ones with the stem and a rim which tapers inwards. You have to hold your head right back to get the last drop and if you're not careful, it goes right up your nose. Other than that, I'm really not that bothered about glasses but dislike drinking out of a branded glass with Peroni or Doom Bar on the sides as I drink neither. The glass I like the most is the old Lantern.

    Quote Originally Posted by Komakino View Post
    A customer in one of the local pubs I used to work in preferred his beer in a nonic pint glass, and told me the reason for the name was that the bulge two-thirds the way up the glass prevented the rim of the glasses chipping when racked / stored together, hence nonic = "no nicks", although this could be conveniently apocryphal.
    I've also heard this but further thought that the bulge was simply to prevent the glass from slipping out of a wet hand which kinda makes sense.

  6. #36
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    5,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Komakino View Post
    A customer in one of the local pubs I used to work in preferred his beer in a nonic pint glass, and told me the reason for the name was that the bulge two-thirds the way up the glass prevented the rim of the glasses chipping when racked / stored together, hence nonic = "no nicks", although this could be conveniently apocryphal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I have heard the same explanation before.

    Yes that's the explanation I've always heard

    Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I've also heard this but further thought that the bulge was simply to prevent the glass from slipping out of a wet hand which kinda makes sense.

    It so doesn't; ask me how I know?
    There are many diseases,
    that strike people's kneeses,
    Covid19! is one by name
    It comes from the East
    Packed in bladders of yeast
    So the Chinese must take half the blame.

    Apologies to Spike Milligan

  7. #37
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Whatever they're called, I can't stand the ones with the stem and a rim which tapers inwards. You have to hold your head right back to get the last drop and if you're not careful, it goes right up your nose.
    Sounds like you have a drinking problem there, Tris.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    The glass I like the most is the old Lantern.
    Yes, agree with you there.
    Come On You Hatters!

  8. #38
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    5,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Whatever they're called, I can't stand the ones with the stem and a rim which tapers inwards. You have to hold your head right back to get the last drop and if you're not careful, it goes right up your nose...
    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Sounds like you have a drinking problem there, Tris.
    That's what comes of drinking out of lady glasses
    There are many diseases,
    that strike people's kneeses,
    Covid19! is one by name
    It comes from the East
    Packed in bladders of yeast
    So the Chinese must take half the blame.

    Apologies to Spike Milligan

  9. #39
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    2,341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    In what respect?
    The glass used by Harveys is a tulip. The other one is a stemmed tulip.Same difference.Used to be called a ladies glass in Scotland as it looked less manly than half pint glass for a woman drinker.

  10. #40
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    3,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    The glass used by Harveys is a tulip. The other one is a stemmed tulip.Same difference.Used to be called a ladies glass in Scotland as it looked less manly than half pint glass for a woman drinker.
    The term 'tulip' is used in the trade for both types?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •