Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: should have went to specsaver

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    This is what I might call a tulip glass?
    Attachment 2103
    Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I am fussy about the glass I drink from.In pubs I refuse to drink out of a pint nonic glass.Any other style is fine but not nonic.I have walked out of pubs even after they have poured my drink if they wont change it.When drinking at home I often use 3 or 4 different glass depending on the style of beer. I will only drink out of 3 cups indoors for tea or coffee so its probably a phobia.Are you fussy?
    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    If I may quote John here:

It is also used by other people who are not ladies. I like the stemmed glasses at beer festivals, with the half-pint and third-pint lines clearly marked. Because they're oversized, you can carefully pour a 330ml bottle or can into one of these.

Next you'll be telling me that anyone who doesn't drink exclusively from a pint glass is also a lady?
    There is nothing like a straw man.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    This is what I might call a tulip glass?
    Attachment 2103
    I like these for halves, as taken in this pub,sometimes with Gadds' branding:Larkins' Alehouse. Don't really trust them for pints, though. I'm not sure if they are still used, but I liked those multi-sided handled glasses,octagonal perhaps?
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

If I ever get a member of staff say do you mind it in a different glass for whatever reason. Standard response don't give a shit as long as it holds a pint.

If I may quote John here:

It is also used by other people who are not ladies. I like the stemmed glasses at beer festivals, with the half-pint and third-pint lines clearly marked. Because they're oversized, you can carefully pour a 330ml bottle or can into one of these.

Next you'll be telling me that anyone who doesn't drink exclusively from a pint glass is also a lady?
    My beer earlier.
    20200418_192553.jpge
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    There is nothing like a straw man.
    I thought that was quite a lot like a straw man!
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Is that one of those Straw Man glasses?
    Come On You Hatters!

Is that one of those Straw Man glasses?
    Well I am apparently a lady. And the beer was straw coloured.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Whats the correct name for a straight glass.Quiz/
    It seems to depend where you live. In the North (West) we call them Tall Hats. Never heard of Nonics . Is that a Southern word for a Dimple pot? (Edit- Just Googled it and found it's a Tall Hat with a lump at the top! I must be too young to have heard the word).

Lees Brewery tried a hybrid of a Tall Hat and a Dimple pot with ridges to put your fingers and thumb in. They were most unpopular and got called a Flower Pot.

Has anyone got a North/South translation dictionary for sale? (Not the Yorkshire version).
    Last edited by AlanH; 19-04-2020 at 13:36.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    It seems to depend where you live. In the North (West) we call them Tall Hats. Never heard of Nonics .
    Has anyone got a North/South translation dictionary for sale? (Not the Yorkshire version).
    We used to call straights "sleevers" if we didn't call 'em straights. I too had to google "nonics": they were what I thought they would be,though I'd not taken the word onboard. Further confusion was caused by the American usage "Shaker" to refer to "Tulips" (?). I always thought Shakers were an American Protestant Sect that designed kitchen furniture.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

From Gaskill & Chambers catalogue c1960

IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg