Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Favourite Books.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    Not really a big reader of novels and stuff but the last 10 books I've read are:

Creation Stories - Alan McGee
    Common As Muck - Roy 'Chubby' Brown
    My Liverpool Home - Kenny Dalglish
    The Real Bob Paisley
    Renegade - Mark E Smith
    Substance, Inside New Order - Peter Hook
    Goodbye 20th Century, Sonic Youth - David Browne
    Girl In A Band - Kim Gordon
    Anger Is An Energy - John Lydon
    A Drink With Shane MacGowan - Victoria Clarke
    Talking to my son last night and am desperate for read.He only reads biographys so from his selection of 20 I have picked Ian WrightTony Adams,Morrisey Stone Roses and David Haye.Told him to leave them on the doorstep on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Talking to my son last night and am desperate for read.He only reads biographys so from his selection of 20 I have picked Ian WrightTony Adams,Morrisey Stone Roses and David Haye.Told him to leave them on the doorstep on Monday.
    See if you can get the two volumes of Brendan Behan's auto biography (Borstal Boy & Confessions of an Irish Rebel) or Oliver Reed's (Reed all about me), both good reads, more drinking in Oli's obviously.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    See if you can get the two volumes of Brendan Behan's auto biography (Borstal Boy & Confessions of an Irish Rebel) or Oliver Reed's (Reed all about me), both good reads, more drinking in Oli's obviously.
    A good mate of mine when I first came to London was friends with Brendan Behan.Told me he would introduce me but it never happened.Legendary drinker Behan and my mate Barry.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Not a fan of biographys but any port in a storm.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

The Flashman Papers, George MacDonald Fraser. Written not with any nod to being PC, but in the vernacular of the Victorian times. A cracking series of books about the adventures of the anti-hero Harry Flashman (the bully from Rugby school, known from Tom Brown's Schooldays). Meticulous historical research and footnotes add to the experience.

Cormac McCarthy: enjoyed the writing in all of his books, albeit he doesn't shirk life's brutalities.

Some Leslie Thomas, especially The Adventures of Goodnight and Loving, and Running Away, sheer escapism.

Read a couple of Bernie Gunther novels, Philip Kerr, interesting with the main character, a Berlin detective, trying to keep himself and his principles alive amid the oppression of Nazi Germany.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    The Flashman Papers, George MacDonald Fraser. Written not with any nod to being PC, but in the vernacular of the Victorian times. A cracking series of books about the adventures of the anti-hero Harry Flashman (the bully from Rugby school, known from Tom Brown's Schooldays). Meticulous historical research and footnotes add to the experience.

Cormac McCarthy: enjoyed the writing in all of his books, albeit he doesn't shirk life's brutalities.

Some Leslie Thomas, especially The Adventures of Goodnight and Loving, and Running Away, sheer escapism.

Read a couple of Bernie Gunther novels, Philip Kerr, interesting with the main character, a Berlin detective, trying to keep himself and his principles alive amid the oppression of Nazi Germany.
    Just reread Cormac Mccarthy -No Country for Old Men. -brutal but brilliant