Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First match

This Space For Hire

First International was in 1971 Scotland V Portugal 2-1 Hampden Park. I was so exited to be able to see Eusabio. Yep that's my memory from the game.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Especially the 3-0 replay win against Sheffield United after the 2-2 draw at Bramhall Lane. Many happy Alty away days with the Trafford Camra branch, inc Liverpool, York, Rotherham and Blackpool (plus the Wembley Trophy win against Leatherhead), but missed the 2-1 win at Birmingham City.
    +

Alan, we may have met. I was a member of T&H branch of CAMRA back in the day as a young lad. Went to Anfield for the Alty FA Cup game with a bunch of blokes from the branch.
    Ok, maybe just for one......................

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    +

Alan, we may have met. I was a member of T&H branch of CAMRA back in the day as a young lad. Went to Anfield for the Alty FA Cup game with a bunch of blokes from the branch.
    We have talked about changes to the Bridge Inn on this site years ago.
    A "young lad" on our Anfield trip with Mick, John and the late Mike. It could be Steve who I last met on Piccadilly station overbridge about 30 years ago!

The mighty Cobblers edging past then arch rivals, the Imps, from the luxurious comfort of the Main Stand at the three sided County Ground. Remember being keen to read the report in the Pink before chips in the Aberdeen Steak House. A red letter day.
    Northampton Town 1 Lincoln City 0 8th December 1973 League Division Four

I remember this stonker slightly better the following season watched on a Friday evening standing on the pallets which formed the Cricket Ground Side stand . Still wear the scarf I wore that evening for occasional visits to Sixfields.
    Northampton Town 4 Stockport County 1 11th October 1974 League Division Four
    Last edited by Thuck Phat; 17-04-2020 at 11:41.
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Although I'm much more of a rugby follower these days, as a boy I was quite a Leeds United fan. The first match I went to was unforgettable, as it nearly ended in a riot. It was the controversial game against West Brom, on 17th April 1971, when ref Ray Tinkler awarded WBA a second goal, having waved play on when the linesman had flagged for offside. The Leeds players and Don Revie went absolutely batshit, with some fans invading the pitch. Even as an 11 year old I was aware of the incredible tension inside the ground. The result effectively ended Leeds title hopes that year.
    Just read that Norman Hunter has lost his battle with coronavirus:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52246007
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

First game was Man Utd against Fulham - 1963 I think United won 2-0. Next game was Palace v Man United in august 1969 - a 2-2 draw.

In my early days I saw one or two odd things. On one occasion the referee got the timing completely wrong and blew the final whistle five minutes early, and the players left the pitch. As people were leaving the ground he got the players back out to play the missing five minutes. On another occasion a Palace player hit the side netting and the referee thought it a goal. I guess the opposing players protested, and the ref took the unusual step of asking the Palace skipper if it really was a goal. Steve Kember told the truth, and he got some sportsmanship award as a result.

I have never been able to remember my first match - much to my annoyance!

it would have been mid 80's when I was at school. A group of us used to get the bus up to Brum and walk to the Villa. I know I started going more when I left school and my first season ticket was around 1988/89. I have had a season ticket every year since and I intend to carry on - if we ever get football back of course.
    I have also visited over 60 different grounds following the mighty Villa and hope to do the ones I haven't been to.
    My first Wembley trip would have been the 94 League Cup triumph against Man Urinal - Where's your treble gone !!

I am a salmon !!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    I have never been able to remember my first match - much to my annoyance!

it would have been mid 80's when I was at school. A group of us used to get the bus up to Brum and walk to the Villa. I know I started going more when I left school and my first season ticket was around 1988/89. I have had a season ticket every year since and I intend to carry on - if we ever get football back of course.
    I have also visited over 60 different grounds following the mighty Villa and hope to do the ones I haven't been to.
    My first Wembley trip would have been the 94 League Cup triumph against Man Urinal - Where's your treble gone !!

My memory is shot so I had to use Wikipedia to furnish the details of my first matches ie the scores as the experience of the even stays their but not the little things like scores,scorers etc.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    We have talked about changes to the Bridge Inn on this site years ago.
    A "young lad" on our Anfield trip with Mick, John and the late Mike. It could be Steve who I last met on Piccadilly station overbridge about 30 years ago!
    Yep Alan, I'm Steve, once of Sale. My memories of those days are very sketchy now, could you possibly remind me gently who was who? I remember Mick or Mike Rottenbury plus some guy who I think was from East London or Essex originally.
    Ok, maybe just for one......................

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    Yep Alan, I'm Steve, once of Sale. My memories of those days are very sketchy now, could you possibly remind me gently who was who? I remember Mick or Mike Rottenbury plus some guy who I think was from East London or Essex originally.
    A long time ago those T&H branch meetings mainly at The Malt Shovels. Beer and football mixed well and still does (when allowed).
    Our Essex chairman was John Curry (he didn't skate). Secretary Mick as stated, Mike Goode, Social Sec. sadly lost a few years ago.
    I guess we started at the Roscoe Head for the Anfield trip 39 years ago. We usually did on Liverpool visits.
    I lived in Sale for 44 years. We always ended up at the (old!) Bridge Inn on a Saturday afternoon after playing (and later watching) rugby, with plenty of banter, and even more beer, between the three local clubs. In the days when Boddingtons really tasted like Boddingtons!
    Last edited by AlanH; 19-04-2020 at 15:15.