Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Historical Pubs

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    More to the point, it needs rotating by 90° clockwise!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Doesn't show that on my mobile but the cropping will sort that out.
    Done.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Pub already on the site but it's the same building but now has a different use - yes if there are no other photo's of it in its current state ( I don't mean re-photographing a Dominos that used to be a nailbar that used to be a Tattooists that used to be a pub)

New building on same site - no
    Hole in ground or car-park - no

The difficult one is a building that was once a pub but shut a long time ago and is now something else and isn't already on the site - what does this add? I vote no.

When I were a lad there were 70,000 pubs open, we're now at 48,000 or so (less after the Great Plague), that's a lot of closed pubs to add, and if you go back before my short life span the number of ex-pubs, beerhouses, etc is even higher.

So with your dwarf hat on what would you do with this picture
    In this case I'm not so sure that any picture better than no picture? There is a decent picture of it in its heyday on Whatpub.
    Looks more like a football stand. Can't you nick the What Pub picture?

Whoops, sorry WP, didn't really mean it.

You could add a note, "View on Google, 2009"
    Last edited by AlanH; 12-04-2020 at 18:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    A word of warning: there's the problem of photographing sites were once there was a pub as mentioned, but another problem is that of mistaken pubs. All but about 10 of my reviews are for pubs that I've actually visited but these 10-odd relate to 19th century - or earlier - buildings in Oxford, added on the assumption that they were former pubs, but in reality they are replacement shops/dwellings on the site of former pubs and not a former pub. Thus my review typically reads: "This is not an old pub, but a replacement'.
    Those should be deleted, in my opinion. The whole pub entry, I mean, not your review.

If a pub has been added to the site but subsequently closes and is demolished, the original entry should stand. But if a former pub is added to the site solely for the purpose of taking a photo of the shop or block of flats now standing there, it should be removed from the site. In the (perhaps unlikely) event that someone adds a pub that is now closed and gone, but their reason for adding it was to record their experience of the pub (even 40 years ago), that seems legitimate to me. (See my post at #2 on this thread, for instance, though I'm not saying I'm going to.) This is all just my view, of course. Even if everyone agreed with me, it would be up to Dave in the end.
    Come On You Hatters!

So with your dwarf hat on what would you do with this picture
    Attachment 2069
    I wouldn't have a problem with approving that photo.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I wouldn't have a problem with approving that photo.
    Then I shall submit it and see what dwarf I get.
    -W.C.Fields

Then I shall submit it and see what dwarf I get.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Ooh its been approved.
    -W.C.Fields

Tricky one this as I can see both sides of the debate. I added a few in my local town that are long gone just to record them for the sake of history. I tried to add a comment with a few details such as this one The Vine . There are many more that have gone from my area that I could add but if the building is no longer there I didn't bother. Perhaps I should?
    I added this one Swan With Two Necks but I didn't have a picture. A picture of the pub in its heyday was added later so it was worth putting on the site.

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    Tricky one this as I can see both sides of the debate. I added a few in my local town that are long gone just to record them for the sake of history. I tried to add a comment with a few details such as this one The Vine .
    I added this one Swan With Two Necks but I didn't have a picture. A picture of the pub in its heyday was added later so it was worth putting on the site.
    I think what you did with the Vine was fine - there's a family connection for you with that pub. And the Swan with Two Necks being on the site meant that Al 10000 was able to add his review and photo, so all good. (In fact, he added them a few days after the pub appeared, so it looks like you prompted him to contribute, so that shows the value of adding closed pubs to the site.)

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    There are many more that have gone from my area that I could add but if the building is no longer there I didn't bother. Perhaps I should?
    Like I said above, if it was up to me I wouldn't add a closed pub where the building has gone unless I had something to say about it.

A bit more than "it's been demolished", obv.
    Come On You Hatters!