Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Playing away...

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    With a bit of punctuation to the question, it makes my answer easy. Yes!

Also enjoyed many good crawls, incl ... Colchester,
    I'd have said this was more of a surprise than Southampton. While I've had one or two deent pints there in the past, most notably in the Hospital Arms, I usually come away disappointed.

Southampton is not such a surprise to me - The Wellington Arms, Duke of Wellington and Guidedog are always consistently good and there are a few other gems in the surrounding villages.

I will be doing a bit more rail travel this year, so might find a few more surprises - a different perspective, I guess.

Real Ale Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    How about this then, the local Cornwall Visitor paper says Truro is a GB ale capital, second only to Huddersfield.
    Hmmm. Presumably the author of the article has never been to Derby or Sheffield then !
    I must admit when I was last in Truro I found it quite disappointing. I would say Falmouth is better for pubs and ale. The Seven Stars, a wonderful time warp pub and Cornish ale straight from the barrel. Wish I was there now.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by General Staal View Post
    I am a novice at travelling a distance for beer
    Same here. I've never really had the inclination until recently, being ridiculously spoilt for good pubs and beer so close by. However, I now have the inclination, but not the means currently! Would love to do justice to Sheffield, Derby, Norwich and York for starters.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    ... and the West Yorkshire patch of Leeds/Wakefield/Dewsbury have been my favourite long beer weekenders in the past couple of years.
    As 'Gill' and 'trainman' hinted, Huddersfield is worth a visit next time you're in the county. It's not Sheffield but still a great beer town. Plus loads more places to show you in Leeds!

I feel bad that I didn't include Wakefield among my mission crawls, sorry a&h, just 'coz I haven't 'mapped' it yet, but looks good - you can't get a better recommendation than praise from your last PG visitor...
    Welcome any time. Always willing to play tour guide.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

I dont get around as much as i would like (blame work and son) but me and Mrs Oggwyn do manage to get away a couple of weekends a year , Chester is a decent place for a drink these days and i really like Oxford , the White Horse and Lamb and Flag are two of my favorite pubs anywhere , Exeter is pretty good as well .
    Places on the to do list is getting longer by the day , York , Derby , Sheffield etc
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

York is tops for me for a few days beering, it beats Bloxwich by a whisker
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    York is tops for me for a few days beering, it beats Bloxwich by a whisker
    Yes, but we can walk to Blocko and back home in the same night......
    Waes hael!

With a bit of punctuation to the question, it makes my answer easy. Yes!

So yes, away from my locality is indeed my favourite place to drink!
    Knowing West Norwood as I do I couldn't agree more! Some of those pubs make The Atty look a real gem. It wasn't always thus, alas.

Hate to sound like a broke record but the Nags Head Reading. Particularly on a Sunday. Funny it used to be the Glue Pot Swindon by the same criteria a few years ago. But no,the Nags is shangri-la.