Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing away...

Default Playing away...

What is your favourite place to drink away from your locality?

I am a novice at travelling a distance for beer, but I am up in Whitby once or twice a year. I love the pubs there. My three favourites being the Station, the Endeavour and the Black Horse Vaults. The Black Horse would be top, I believe.

I also enjoy the Elsinore. Beer choice is limited, but I just like the pub.

I popped across to Shrewsbury this Saturday with Mrs Staal. After a 'shopping session' which satisfied her, we spent a pleasant couple of hours in the Armoury, which satisfied me. I was so inspired, I plan a train jaunt over there during my holidays!

Outside Yorkshire and in no particular order:

The Black Country
    Edinburgh
    Liverpool

Shrewsbury is on my to do list.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

From a most visited perspective it would be Manchester or Edinburgh in the UK. Further afield I've also enjoyed the beer scene in Gent, Vegas and Prague.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Edinburgh and Stafford.

Overseas, I'd say Munich and Dusseldorf.

I travel a fair bit so it's difficult to be objective as I keep finding fantastic new places, so I've based this answer on concentration of decent pubs rather than individual ones. The best "find" this year was in Kent where the Red Lion in Snargate and the Woolpack in Brookland turned out to be so close together.

Close to home - Manchester

In the UK - Derby, Sheffield, York, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Shrewsbury

Further afield - Brussels, Amsterdam, Prague

Much further afield - Vancouver, Seattle, San Francisco, San Diego, Boston

The one thing they've all got in common?

Lots of good pubs and bars, most including several brewpubs.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 20-07-2010 at 09:13.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Derby, Shrewsbury and the West Yorkshire patch of Leeds/Wakefield/Dewsbury have been my favourite long beer weekenders in the past couple of years. Sheffield is high on my list to do in more detail than I have previously.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by General Staal View Post
    What is your favourite place to drink... away from your locality?
    With a bit of punctuation to the question, it makes my answer easy. Yes!

But favourite beer town to date would be Sheffield (and they've even now solved the last-good-pub-leaves-a-distant-dash-for-your-train conundrum by opening The Tap).
    Top mission destinations, at the moment, are Norwich, Shrewsbury, Derby (08Sep).
    Top individual mission destination, Bhurtpore Inn, Aston.
    Also enjoyed many good crawls, incl Brighton, Nottingham, Leicester, York, Cambridge, Colchester, Bristol, (I better put in Rochdale), Reading, Peterborough, Southampton (surprisingly), and class acts like the Queens Arms in Chelmsford, among many.

So yes, away from my locality is indeed my favourite place to drink!

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    (I better put in Rochdale)!
    Aren't you due for another visit soon?

This time starting at the Baum and heading back to the station.

That means that you won't be a little pished when you reach your destination pub AND you might catch your train back home.

PM me next time you're around.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Aren't you due for another visit soon?

This time starting at the Baum and heading back to the station.

That means that you won't be a little pished when you reach your destination pub AND you might catch your train back home.
    Not due in the foreseeable ROB, tho will certainly be in touch in advance when I am. I'm always likely to have started in town before the train to 'Dale, so cannot guarantee sobriety at Baum, but look forward to investigating the additional pumps. I do,however, have the vague idea that my next trip out of Manchester ought to be Huddersfield, and incorporate (finally) Stalybridge Buffet Bar.
    I feel bad that I didn't include Wakefield among my mission crawls, sorry a&h, just 'coz I haven't 'mapped' it yet, but looks good - you can't get a better recommendation than praise from your last PG visitor...

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Sheffield is top for getting round a lot of pubs and getting loads of new beers.

York is another place we get to as often as we can. May be less beer choice, but we love the pubs.

There are other places where we like to do a crawl like Manchester, Liverpool, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Darlington, Chester, Huddersfield, Derby, Bristol, Newcastle.

These are not in any order, we just tour up and down country and fit the crawls in wherever. There are even some good ones in London but take a lot of planning to get round them in a day.

How about this then, the local Cornwall Visitor paper says Truro is a GB ale capital, second only to Huddersfield. Despite days of seeking the gems , I have not found the pubs to warrant that quote. Sorry.