Ads not shown when logged in
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: We haven't done TV comedies yet

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Bit like "The Day Today" from the excellent Chris Morris, or "Drop the Dead Donkey" ?
    I haven't seen either of those but wasn't drop the dead donkey a news based sitcom?
    Broken News was more like a spoof amalgam of the news channel, local news and an intervention by a bonkers bloke in Hollywood. There was also a film critic who srarted off praising a film or actor and then going on to mercilessly slag them off.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Detectorists is great.
    Watched most of the first series of Detectorists at my parents over Xmas. My mum loves it but I couldn't get into it - I can see why it appeals though, it's more of a gentle comedy drama than a proper 'for laughs' comedy. In that vein the original TV adaption of Mapp & Lucia (McEwan, Scales & Hawthorne) is better, for my money.

Good shout for Drop the Dead Donkey - hit and miss but when it hit it was excellent. Really hard for them to always get it right, given they were scripting and filming on the hoof during the week. Remember well the episode with Dave and Henry doing the male stripper routine in their leather jockstraps! was it for Sally Smedley's birthday?
    Last edited by Quinno; 17-04-2020 at 00:01.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Not TV but Radio 4's Down the Line with Gary Bellamy was very funny.

Very funny and a great send-up of phone-in programmes. I thought that Reece Thomas' (Gary Bellamy) 'mockumentary' about the fictional Brian Pern was hysterical, especially the musical adaptation of The Day of the Triffids!

Another Radio 4 cracker was Ed Reardon's Week, available as 13 half-hour audiobooks and great for self-isolation!

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I haven't seen either of those but wasn't drop the dead donkey a news based sitcom?
    Broken News was more like a spoof amalgam of the news channel, local news and an intervention by a bonkers bloke in Hollywood. There was also a film critic who srarted off praising a film or actor and then going on to mercilessly slag them off.
    The Day Today was very much a spoof of a news channel, Drop the Dead Donkey was a bit of a hybrid with a spoof of a news channel and some of what might loosely be called "situation comedy" around the vanities and so on of the presenters and journalists.

I wondered if there was a chicken & egg relationship as in "This is Spinal Tap" and "The Comic Strip Presents: The Bad News Tour", I see from the dates it isn't. The film critic bit reminds me a bit of the premise used for the "Dennis Pennis" character.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Very funny and a great send-up of phone-in programmes. I thought that Reece Thomas' (Gary Bellamy) 'mockumentary' about the fictional Brian Pern was hysterical, especially the musical adaptation of The Day of the Triffids!

Another Radio 4 cracker was Ed Reardon's Week, available as 13 half-hour audiobooks and great for self-isolation!

Ahh Radio 4 the home of radio comedy; from its roots (as the Home Service) with the Crazy Gang, Arthur Askey and Sticker Murdoch, through ITMA, The Goons, The Navy Lark, The News Quiz, I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, The Mary Whitehouse Show, The Now Show, Ed Reardon's Week (in spite of the 12 year olds ) and the pinnacle that is I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue; I could go on. There are comedy gems at 11:30am (12:30 Sat/12:04 Sun), 6:30pm and 11:00pm almost every day, only there could you find a comedy show billed as "Stand-up comedy from triple-threat Rosie Jones - she’s disabled, gay and northern. Prepare to be shocked and disappointed by Rosie’s lack of respect for your expectations." (Rosie Jones - Box Ticker Wednesday 11pm).

A few more radio gems: "Round the Horne" (all those hidden gay jokes in 1960s years before Little Britain); "Fags, Mags & Bags" (for lovers of Navid in Still Game); "Mark Steele's in Town" and Milton Jones (Monday 6:30pm repeat Sunday 12:04). And don't forget the shows that started on radio and moved to TV, League of Gentlemen, Have I Got News For You and Goodness Gracious Me.

Goodness Gracious Me.
    The best bits followed by the first ever show on TV tonight!
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire

A few more radio gems: "Round the Horne" (all those hidden gay jokes in 1960s years before Little Britain); "Fags, Mags & Bags" (for lovers of Navid in Still Game); "Mark Steele's in Town" and Milton Jones (Monday 6:30pm repeat Sunday 12:04). And don't forget the shows that started on radio and moved to TV, League of Gentlemen, Have I Got News For You and Goodness Gracious Me.
    It's sheer asininity! Some fine things here like Mark Steele and Milton Jones. Other shows to have started on Radio 4 before relocating to TV were The Day Today (Alan Partridge's first appearance), That Mitchell and Webb Sound, Count Arthur Strong, Little Britain, Knowing Me Knowing You (Ahhh-Haaa!)...
    Last edited by Tris39; 18-04-2020 at 19:16.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    It's sheer asininity! Some fine things here like Mark Steele and Milton Jones. Other shows to have started on Radio 4 before relocating to TV were The Day Today (Alan Partridge's first appearance), That Mitchell and Webb Sound, Count Arthur Strong, Little Britain, Knowing Me Knowing You (Ahhh-Haaa!)...
    Count Arthur Strong is not imo a comedy.Drivel comes to mind.

This Space For Hire

One no-one has mentioned yet is Friday Night Dinner, I only discovered it during the series before the current one and got hooked. Mark Heap is even madder than he was in Green Wing.

Also just thought of Detectorists, beautiful gentle comedy, lovely countryside and a great theme tune.
    One of the folk songs from the third series of The Detectorists recalls '70s kid's programme Magpie, though no Jenny Hanley in Crook's version though...

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    Too many too mention but here are a few:

Porridge
    Ever Decreasing Circles
    The Good Life
    Fawlty Towers
    Only Fools And Horses
    Black Adder (Esp Goes Forth)
    Early Doors
    Reggie Perrin
    Men Behaving Badly
    The Young Ones
    Red Dwarf
    Steptoe And Son
    To The Manor Born
    Completely forgot to mention Yes Minister which was way ahead of its time.

I am a salmon !!