Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Have we done films yet?

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Used to drink in there when I lived off Ladbroke Grove.
    At the top of Ladbroke Grove, I remember the Narrow Boat with the deadly stairs.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    At the top of Ladbroke Grove, I remember the Narrow Boat with the deadly stairs.
    The name rings a bell and although ilived only 500 yards from that pub I cant recall it.Unaware that any pub in the area sold Fullers beer.Must have passed it as I used to drink in the Cowshed,Village Western, prince of wales, earl derby and the prince Arthur.Watneys and Trumans were common beers.

The name rings a bell and although ilived only 500 yards from that pub I cant recall it.Unaware that any pub in the area sold Fullers beer...
    Sadly now demolished it was almost on the Harrow Road, it was built on the side of the canal cutting and the bar was at road level the toilets were at canal level. A door opened from the bar onto a very steep staircase however the stairs were at 90 degrees to the door and there was no landing at the top; as I said deadly.

My wife dragged me in there as she trained at nearby St Charles' hospital (part of St Mary's in Paddington) and lived round there in the 70s/80s. She has some good stories of pubs and carnival in Notting Hill / Ladbroke Grove.

This Space For Hire

T.Unaware that any pub in the area sold Fullers beer.
    As I recall it used to be a Charrington pub but was taken over by Fullers. Apparently it used to sometimes feature in Minder - must watch out for it.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

This Space For Hire

The name rings a bell and although ilived only 500 yards from that pub I cant recall it.Unaware that any pub in the area sold Fullers beer.Must have passed it as I used to drink in the Cowshed,Village Western, prince of wales, earl derby and the prince Arthur.Watneys and Trumans were common beers.
    My mate's in his late 60s and has lived round here all his life. He says The Cowshed (originally Admiral Blake) was seriously rough. The Prince Of Wales went a while back, unsurprisingly!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    My mate's in his late 60s and has lived round here all his life. He says The Cowshed (originally Admiral Blake) was seriously rough. The Prince Of Wales went a while back, unsurprisingly!
    Yes the Admiral Blake.Couldnt remember its real name. Think the Village was Lads of the Village.Yes the Cowshed was rough but me and my Scottish mates fitted in seamlessly. Another regular port of call was the Cobden club.Bar used to shut at 11 -12 oclock but you could buy a case of bottled beers and sit drinking them until 2-3 in the morning.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I was boating past this pub on a regular basis in 1983 and 1984 but never went in,despite it's GBG entry.It didn't have a mooring and the towpath there wasn't somewhere you felt comfortable leaving a boat.The same applied to The Flora ,canalside a little further down the Harrow Road.The only safe mooring was at Little Venice ,which meant the Warwick Castle was the pub of choice and also a GBG regular in those days.
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 15-04-2020 at 14:05.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    The only safe mooring was at Little Venice ,which meant the Warwick Castle was the pub of choice and also a GBG regular in those days.
    Ah, The Warwick Castle, I remember it well. Between 81-83 I certainly drank a few pints in there, with my college mates, as our flat was only 5 minutes walk away. Perhaps the most memorable evening, now slightly surreal, was when a young Jim Carter (Mr Carson in Downton Abbey) was juggling on a unicycle, for the benefit of patrons sat outside. Happy days.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Ah, The Warwick Castle, I remember it well. Between 81-83 I certainly drank a few pints in there, with my college mates, as our flat was only 5 minutes walk away. Perhaps the most memorable evening, now slightly surreal, was when a young Jim Carter (Mr Carson in Downton Abbey) was juggling on a unicycle, for the benefit of patrons sat outside. Happy days.
    I can't imagine any students living round here now - I saw David Soul round here in the Warrington 14 years ago and the Modfather lives in adjacent Warwick Avenue!

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I can't imagine any students living round here now - I saw David Soul round here in the Warrington 14 years ago and the Modfather lives in adjacent Warwick Avenue!
    Oh, it was definitely pre-gentrification. I lived in a very basic flat in one of the lovely terraces, before they were all done up. In my time I used to see Arthur Lowe and John Inman pottering about in the shops on Clifton Road. I even saw Tula the (first?) transsexual supermodel in an off-licence near The Eagle. Used to see Les Gray (lead singer with Mud) in The Warrington occasionally.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.