Ads not shown when logged in
Page 374 of 426 FirstFirst ... 274324364372373374375376384424 ... LastLast
Results 3,731 to 3,740 of 4259

Thread: Random news of the day

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    These were good, but sadly since his death they obviously are no longer available.
    They do loverly pickled walnuts. Never managed to pickle 'em myself. If the squirrels hadn't eaten them, I ended up with an unappitising wrinkled black mess.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    They do loverly pickled walnuts. Never managed to pickle 'em myself. If the squirrels hadn't eaten them, I ended up with an unappitising wrinkled black mess.
    There was clearly no end to the great Norman's talents: film reviewer, pickler... I can imagine him sitting at home, topping and tailing the onions with a clapperboard. I had a pickled walnut in the late '70s and have never recovered from the experience. Are you supposed to eat the crunchy/slimy shell?
    Last edited by Tris39; 02-10-2021 at 19:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    There was clearly no end to the great Norman's talents: film reviewer, pickler... I can imagine him sitting at home, topping and tailing the onions with a clapperboard. I had a pickled walnut in the late '70s and have never recovered from the experience. Are you supposed to eat the crunchy/slimy shell?
    Pickled too latence the shell starts to form inside the green outer covering it becomes inedible. I think early July is the right time, but I should think it is a matter of trial and error, and beating the squirrels to it.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Pickled too late: once the shell starts to form inside the green outer covering it becomes inedible.
    Well, that's something I learnt today! I remember my grandparents having a jar of pickled walnuts, and I think they've been my definition of "inedible" ever since.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Well, that's something I learnt today! I remember my grandparents having a jar of pickled walnuts, and I think they've been my definition of "inedible" ever since.
    Yes. I eat/try just about anything but never again for tripe and the pickled walnut. The one I tried was from a jar, but squirrels are known for their resourcefulness.

Once the shell starts to form inside the green outer covering...
    Sounds like a quote from the film Alien.

This Space For Hire

Some more good news.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Default Beer prices to rise again.

James Fawcett, CEO of renowned Castleford maltsters Thomas Fawcett and Sons Ltd, had this to say:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-eng...zlUuBjU7-eBo6o

The fun never ends. Oh, joy.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Aren't we all so wet now? Some woman was blathering on about how Beatrix Potter's books were terribly damaging in last week's Sunday papers.

This Space For Hire

Looks like a Liverpool classic has returned from the brink. Needs an update someone - last reviews were pretty dire.
    https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news...nicer-22074440
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement