Ads not shown when logged in
Page 335 of 426 FirstFirst ... 235285325333334335336337345385 ... LastLast
Results 3,341 to 3,350 of 4259

Thread: Random news of the day

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I've been a fan for nearly 50 years - ever since buying the Greasy Truckers Party live album in 1972. I was into Hawkwind at the time, but I very soon got sucked into the alternative musical universes of the Man band on the one hand, and Nick Lowe on the other. Got all the Brinsleys albums (except the first one, obv), all his solo stuff, but never seen him live.
    Still going strong when I last saw him (again at Shepherds Bush) last June.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1220369s.png 
Views:	142 
Size:	495.2 KB 
ID:	2175

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    As it was me who started the Tired Martin moniker its only fair to say like his weirdy tickers its just tongue in cheek.I often mention the dreaded BBB and rarely drink it if possible but its the most popular style of ale so no problem with that. I have been reading beer blogs almost daily for the last 15 years and you have got to be thick skinned to do one as comments you make sometimes come back to bite you.I am sure Martin and the guys at the pub forum can cope with a bit of banter.
    Not all BBBs are boring but the usual suspects certainly are. Have you tried Blue Monkey Primate which is easily the best one I've tried in recent years.

This Space For Hire

More pearls of wisdom from the Daily Wail..

What's to stop people going to another pub?
    Last edited by Tris39; 28-04-2020 at 16:42.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Thanks, John. I appreciate you taking the time to write that. A bit of banter is fine, but when it's written down and staring you in the face, it doesn't always feel like banter. Or, as I said to Martin earlier this evening, "tongue in cheek" is ok if you're talking, but if it's written down, the person reading it can't see where your tongue is!

Martin has deleted the "weird tickers" remark. I told him he didn't need to, and he doesn't need to apologise. It was just a light-hearted bit of cheek, but as I say, it doesn't always get received in the same way it was intended.

"Tired Martin" is actually quite funny, but don't let him know I said so.
    We beer tickers are quite proud to be called weird and so much so we call people like you and Martin -normals. I will no longer refer to him as Tired.I was not in the slightest bothered by his remark.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    More pearls of wisdom from the Daily Wail..

What's to stop people going to another pub?
    The boss of Fullers said social distancing means his pubs will only turn over about 20% of usual turnover and its better to stay shut.Maybe the government can issue breathalyzers to publicans to test us before they let us in(although providing test kits is something the gov has not excelled at up to now) or make us walk the line painted outside or issue vouchers dated like Wetherspoons or
    maybe wait till its safe which makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    The boss of Fullers said social distancing means his pubs will only turn over about 20% of usual turnover and its better to stay shut.Maybe the government can issue breathalyzers to publicans to test us before they let us in(although providing test kits is something the gov has not excelled at up to now) or make us walk the line painted outside or issue vouchers dated like Wetherspoons or
    maybe wait till its safe which makes more sense.
    The man from Fullers also pointed out that the subsidies for staff ends in late June. As I said before this virus is a catastrophe for the hospitality (and other) industry. Personally I think that the bigger they are the harder they will fall applies here. If staff subsidies end in July then countless businesses will go bust and I reckon JDW could be front of the queue. They rely on being fairly busy most of the time and they must already be haemorrhaging money. Even if or when they reopen I think they will have lost a lot of trade.

This Space For Hire

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    The man from Fullers also pointed out that the subsidies for staff ends in late June. As I said before this virus is a catastrophe for the hospitality (and other) industry. Personally I think that the bigger they are the harder they will fall applies here. If staff subsidies end in July then countless businesses will go bust and I reckon JDW could be front of the queue. They rely on being fairly busy most of the time and they must already be haemorrhaging money. Even if or when they reopen I think they will have lost a lot of trade.
    Tim's usually pretty astute when it comes to business, so it'll be interesting to see what he does in response.

"Pub customers hid in cupboards during raid"

Wonder if Will knows the place? According the only review on PuG it has "...the best beer in Sheffield"
    "Breakneck speed we drown ten pints of bitter"

Quote Originally Posted by Komakino View Post
    "Pub customers hid in cupboards during raid"

Wonder if Will knows the place? According the only review on PuG it has "...the best beer in Sheffield"
    I've been there once, many years ago. A fairly ordinary (Leeds) Tetleys, if I recall correctly. Long before I started writing reviews.
    Come On You Hatters!