Ads not shown when logged in
Page 334 of 426 FirstFirst ... 234284324332333334335336344384 ... LastLast
Results 3,331 to 3,340 of 4260

Thread: Random news of the day

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    What annoys me most about this National Bass Day thing is the way that Roger Protz blatantly used his WB editorial to support it despite it not being approved CAMRA policy.
    As far as I know, Roger Protz writes for What's Brewing as a columnist, not as a Camra spokesman.

Whether you agree with him or not (and I certainly don't always), I appreciate reading his point of view as a challenge to or substantiation for my own thoughts.

However, what beats me, is why people get (or appear to get) so worked up about stuff like this - enjoy what you enjoy, and leave the other BBB stuff to others...

This Space For Hire

What annoys me most about this National Bass Day thing is the way that Roger Protz blatantly used his WB editorial to support it despite it not being approved CAMRA policy.
    He doesn't write the editorial on WB: the editor does. It's usually on page two captioned 'Editorial Comment'. Protz contributes a column.

As far as I'm concerned he should be sacked by CAMRA
    Does he hold a position to be sacked from?

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    However, what beats me, is why people get (or appear to get) so worked up about stuff like this - enjoy what you enjoy, and leave the other BBB stuff to others...
    I would ignore it if it wasn't for the fact that the Proper Twats and more so Roger Protz are trying to inflict a rubbish beer from a global abomination onto the rest of us. How dare he try and exhort CAMRA members to do this? It doesn't matter if it's an editorial or just comment. He's old enough to remember the uproar there was from CAMRA when Bass Charrington ruined the beer but he seems to have conveniently forgotten it along with the Proper Twats.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post

Does he hold a position to be sacked from?
    As far as I know he has no position in CAMRA apart from being a member, he's a freelance journalist.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

He seemed like just any other beer enthusiast to me.
    He would admit to being a pub and people enthusiast rather than beer, he has no real interest in Beer Festivals or Breweries.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

As far as I know, Roger Protz writes for What's Brewing as a columnist, not as a Camra spokesman.

Whether you agree with him or not (and I certainly don't always), I appreciate reading his point of view as a challenge to or substantiation for my own thoughts.

Couldn't agree more. What's so funny about peace love and understanding?
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

As it was me who started the Tired Martin moniker its only fair to say like his weirdy tickers its just tongue in cheek.I often mention the dreaded BBB and rarely drink it if possible but its the most popular style of ale so no problem with that. I have been reading beer blogs almost daily for the last 15 years and you have got to be thick skinned to do one as comments you make sometimes come back to bite you.I am sure Martin and the guys at the pub forum can cope with a bit of banter.

Default God-like genius

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Wrong thread alert, but now you've mentioned that pub-rock classic, it reminds me of a great night at Shepherds Bush Empire with Nick Lowe and his band (and when I say with, there were almost as many people on stage as in the audience, due to a clash with a Euro 2012 semi-final that England had expected to qualify for, but of course they had by then lost their quarter-final on penalties...).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-06-28-485s.png 
Views:	246 
Size:	502.6 KB 
ID:	2169

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    As it was me who started the Tired Martin moniker its only fair to say like his weirdy tickers its just tongue in cheek.I often mention the dreaded BBB and rarely drink it if possible but its the most popular style of ale so no problem with that. I have been reading beer blogs almost daily for the last 15 years and you have got to be thick skinned to do one as comments you make sometimes come back to bite you.I am sure Martin and the guys at the pub forum can cope with a bit of banter.
    Thanks, John. I appreciate you taking the time to write that. A bit of banter is fine, but when it's written down and staring you in the face, it doesn't always feel like banter. Or, as I said to Martin earlier this evening, "tongue in cheek" is ok if you're talking, but if it's written down, the person reading it can't see where your tongue is!

Martin has deleted the "weird tickers" remark. I told him he didn't need to, and he doesn't need to apologise. It was just a light-hearted bit of cheek, but as I say, it doesn't always get received in the same way it was intended.

"Tired Martin" is actually quite funny, but don't let him know I said so.
    Come On You Hatters!

Wrong thread alert, but now you've mentioned that pub-rock classic, it reminds me of a great night at Shepherds Bush Empire with Nick Lowe and his band (and when I say with, there were almost as many people on stage as in the audience, due to a clash with a Euro 2012 semi-final that England had expected to qualify for, but of course they had by then lost their quarter-final on penalties...).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-06-28-485s.png 
Views:	246 
Size:	502.6 KB 
ID:	2169
    I've been a fan for nearly 50 years - ever since buying the Greasy Truckers Party live album in 1972. I was into Hawkwind at the time, but I very soon got sucked into the alternative musical universes of the Man band on the one hand, and Nick Lowe on the other. Got all the Brinsleys albums (except the first one, obv), all his solo stuff, but never seen him live.
    Come On You Hatters!